Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Interesting Flush Question in tight games

There is no absolute correct answer to my question but would like to get various opinions; In multiway pots in tight games with other aggressive players that mostly have a clue I tend to wait til 6th to raise a made flush first five as to not give my hand away; however I've ran into a couple of situations lately where I've been drawn out on by someone making an open pair on 6th giving them a boat; and it hasn't cost me extra bets because I just called the bettor down with my made hand.

My question is do you think it's a better play to make it two bets on 5th from a bettor the more the opponents in order to discourage such crying calls or are they likely to call anyway due to pot size?....thx in advance for opinions..

kardplaya [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2004, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Interesting Flush Question in tight games

What are you doing in a tight-aggressive game full of players who mostly have a clue?

Anyway, one reason to raise on 5th with your made flush vs clueful opponents is so that later on, when you have three to a flush showing and you raise, they fold to your semibluff. Plus you'll often get called anyway. If they're tight, they play good starters that they will often have trouble laying down. You're actually more likely to lose loose players who started with nothing and didn't improve.

Slowplaying a made hand in stud is usually wrong unless it's a premium full house and you have legitimate reason to believe no one can call a bet or raise.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:07 AM

Like this guy says, I raise with a flush on fifth street essentially every time, because if you can train your opponents to fold every time you show three suited cards, only good things can happen.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like this guy says, I raise with a flush on fifth street essentially every time, because if you can train your opponents to fold every time you show three suited cards, only good things can happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, 100%.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2004, 04:19 PM

Also thinking opponents my see this as a semi-bluff and play back at you and your made flush.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:32 PM

okay seems to be a consensus..and the point is well taken in terms of the semibluff and I have actually used this play effectively; as to the question of what I am doing in a tight aggressive game full of good players, it's not something I do on a daily basis obviously but I feel it's important to making one's game well rounded and gaining experience in a variety of game types; when I'm looking to make money in a particular session I scout out easier games. And I would add a footnote that the more familiar one becomes with their opponents and vice versa the more the need arises to vary your play with all types of hands in order to not become predictable...thx for all your comments...very helpful...

studplaya
Old 07-18-2004, 07:21 PM

sometimes against aggressive players it is better to just raise because they will often read you for a bluff. why be tricky if they will give you credit for being tricky when you arent? you will often be expected to raise with three suited cards on board whether or not you have a flush.

Pat