Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 10:47 PM

Default JJ in the SB

10-20 Live
3 limpers to me , I have JJ in the SB. Should I raise or just complete?
I've read that with a hand like JJ, you want either 1 or 2 opponents or multiway so I just complete. BB just calls. Flop is X-2-2 and of course BB wins with 10-2 off.
My friend who is sitting at the same table says I should have raised PF to get the BB out. Is he just being results oriented or is it better to keep the pot small so that overcards to J don't hang around on the flop bet?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Re: JJ in the SB

You're giving away too much by only raising with AA or KK here. I would raise here with AA-JJ,AK,AQs,AJs,KQs. It's worth it to get the extra bets in with a powerful hand.

PokerPrince
Old 10-08-2003, 11:26 PM

Hi PP,
I don't only raise with AA,KK......against 3 opponents , I would usually raise in the SB with AK,AQ or sometimes even AJs and some other hands. But with JJ, I was playing by what I thought was textbook play because 4 opponents is the least desirable with JJ out of position. If it is a clear cut decision for you, would you say you'd raise with it 99% of the time, or 75%, or 50%.........unless it's over 75% I don't think it's really an obvious raise. It might be one of those plays where either way is ok because the difference is negligible.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:30 PM

Default Please search the archives *NM*

Old 10-08-2003, 11:33 PM

I think you should raise if the limpers play poorly. I would not be raising to get the big blind out, though.

Out of curiousity, where did this hand happen? I'm headed to Port Perry on Friday...maybe I'll see you there.

-Diplomat
Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 AM

depends on the table & your image... ESPECIALLY though, how loose the limpers are... or how aggressive, if there's a good chance that many of them are limping in with subpar hands (ie they are loose, or they would have raised with anything good), then you should raise 100% of the time. Against decent players, it's on feel... if i had to give a percentage (i don't believe in 'raise percentages', i think it's crap - you should have a feel for the right play based on your table at that time), then i'd put it around 50-75%.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:24 AM

actually this was at Brantford? Ever been there? Do u play at Port Perry much?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:50 AM

IMO this is an automatic raise in this situation. Because no one raised, you are almost certainly the money favorite to win the pot, so every caller you get for your raise is putting profit in your wallet. You will have the best of it here at least 90% of the time in a typical 10-20 game.

There are other benefits of raising here, but this is the main one.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:10 PM

Just to play devils advocate.......should you always raise when you have the best hand? Often, you will have the best starting hand but it is vulnerable such as JJ (vulnerable to overcards). Especially when you will be first to act in all betting rounds. Another example, if 7-8 people limp in and you are on the button with AJo or KQo, you probably have the best hand but should you raise with it?
Personally, I think there are many instances where you should not raise even though you know you proabably have the best starting hand. The JJ in the SB question, I'm not sure what is right. If there were 8 players, it's a raise or if it was 2players, it would be a raise. But with 4, I'm not sure.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:10 PM

I play at Brantford sometimes, I've probably seen you there.

PokerPrince