Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Party $15/$30, pocket 9\'s

[ QUOTE ]
If my hand is currently best I wanted to protect it by facing the BB with two bets cold. I would like him to fold any random club or other pair+gutshot type hand he might have, or at least charge him the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I would have preferred to not see the action after your turn raise - that might be messing up my thoughts on the matter.

Would the PFR really 3 bet your turn raise with such a turn card without AK? (with and/or without a club?)

I just don't like how this hand feels, between drawing dead, dodging half the deck, and possibly splitting the pot with BB (who may also be freerolling a club draw), i think this isn't good
Old 02-16-2005, 03:41 PM

anyone fold this pre-flop? 99 vs UTG 28% raiser...
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM

Hands like these are easier to play if you don't start out by trying to isolate yourself into a heads-up situation where you will almost always be either a small favorite or a big underdog. Just call before the flop.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 04:01 PM

nope, i'd 3-bet if I think I can isolate, cold call if I think I will get several callers behind.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:01 PM

I think you played this fine. Preflop is the only question, but if you are confident your 3bet can isolate this guy then it is a fine play - if you are pretty sure others are hopping into the pot regardless I would just call.

Anyone who folds this flop is giving away money. The pot is rather large at this point, how on earth can you fold here? Sometimes you will make your straight and lose, that is true. But when you do win you will be winning quite the pot! No flop fold.

On the turn the raise is the correct play - you want to face BB with 2 cold to get him to fold a middleish club that might take down the pot. When he calls and UTG 3bets I think calldown mode is fine for the rest of the hand.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Did you take into account the size of the pot at all? You are correct that he probably only has 4 outs here, but there are 7.5 BIG bets in the pot. He is getting 15 to 1 on his money. He should be calling with 3 outs or better.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:04 PM

That's not totally true. The chances hero is a big dog is slim because this guy is a pretty loose raiser. And although there is a good chance villian has 2 overcards, you are still favorite and if you get the blinds to fold, there will be more than enough of an overlay from the blinds. Also, there is also a good chance you have the raiser dominated if he has A2 to A9, or 22-88. I've seen a lot of loose raiser raising early with small pocket pair.

I don't mind just calling here if you think you can't isolate and there will be several cold callers behind if you just call.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you take into account the size of the pot at all? You are correct that he probably only has 4 outs here, but there are 7.5 BIG bets in the pot. He is getting 15 to 1 on his money. He should be calling with 3 outs or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also need to consider reverse implied odds and redraws.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Most of the time hero is going to be folding on the turn here. So the river card is the only card to worry about in terms of reverse implied odds. I feel like the size of that pot justifies the chance that the straight loses to a flush or fullhouse - it is only 3handed in any case.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:16 PM

I agree that it is not an easy decision to fold this on the flop, because the pot is sizeable, but a few minor objections to your argument swing me to the fold on the flop camp. 1) There are technically only 6.5 big bets in the pot when hero has to act on the flop, not 7.5. You can't count Hero or the big blind's calls until after flop action is complete. 2) Hero has to dodge a club, or at least be more cautious if a club hits on either the turn or the river. 3) You have to consider the likelihood that UTG+1 is on AK, a real possibility given the way he has bet so far, which means Hero's supposed 4 outs may only end up costing him more money if they hit.