Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 05:28 PM

Default So I\'ve realized my blind defense is super weak

Hey all,

I've been playing 5/10 short handed for about a month or so now. I usually multi-table 7 tables at once, not sure why not 8, but 7 is working for me. Anyways, my VPIP is a less then stellar 16.55. I fold my SB to steal 86 and my BB to steal 75. I figure if I can get these to some more reasonable defense numbers my VPIP will increase. I'd really like to get it above 20 even though that is still pretty tight.

So I'm wondering what is the range of hands you'll defend with in the SB vs an average CO or button steal, and the range of hands you'll defend with from the BB vs an average CO or button steal?

I'd say right now I defend with JTo+ (sometimes, this one is close for me), 76s+, J9s+, A5s+, A9o+, KTo+, 66+. I don't really have any strict guidelines or anything, but I feel I'm really random when I choose to defend and I'm sure I'm not defending enough.

Once I get guidelines I'll be looking to post some hands to see how I'm doing.

I tried to use the search function but I really couldn't find that much so if someone has a link to another post with this information saved up that would be cool also.

Thanks all
Ponks
Old 12-02-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Re: So I\'ve realized my blind defense is super weak

I'll defend the big blind to a raise with any two suited cards. I play much tigher with the small blind. You might consider just calling with any two suited in addition to the hands you mentioned. I'll also call one bet from the BB with any ace or any pair, not just 6's or better. I play 1/2 though so maybe i'm offbase here.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:40 PM

here

there

one more

Some BB defense hands

old school

get marginal
Old 12-02-2004, 05:43 PM

I don't think your SB fold % is abnormally high, but I agree you need to defend your BB more.

*runs off to read JR's links*
Old 12-02-2004, 09:56 PM

Thanks a lot JR, this is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Guess I just suck at using the search function.

Ponks