Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Hypothetical situation

Lets say you're in the WSOP. It is the first day, first hour, 10th hand. You are dealt KK. Your opponent pushes his stack in (which is covering your 10k stack) and shows you AKs. Do you call or fold and why?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical situation

call, because I like doubling up 65% of the time
Old 10-25-2004, 08:02 PM

You are willing to take that risk for 10k chips in the first hour of play in a 5 day tourney? Am i just insane?

Maybe its just cause my BR is 1/4 of the buyin for that tourney.....
Old 10-25-2004, 08:15 PM

I would call every time here. You're a 2-1 (or very close to it) favorite and that's just too big to pass up, even this early. (Note that I might not call if I didn't know what my opponent had)
Old 10-26-2004, 12:00 AM

This is a good post!

One thing it depends on is whether you are the best player in the game (or one of the better players). If you are not you would take the 65% chance to double up every time.

However, assuming you are one of the better players you should avoid close gambles early on (this is David S's advice in his book on tournament poker). However, David does not elaborate on what percentage chance to win a close gamble is. I would be inclined to call in this situation. I think 65% is too much to give up.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:53 AM

If he didnt show me his hand, Fold. But knowing what he had I would call. I have heard a lot of people state that 60/40 edge is what they are happy with. I agree.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:03 AM

Some people say that they'd fold in a situation like that because they don't wanna pay $10k to be gone after half an hour. The real question is, if you had aces and someone went all in like that, with or without showing you the hand, would you call?
Old 10-26-2004, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The real question is, if you had aces and someone went all in like that, with or without showing you the hand, would you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes this the real question? I seriously doubt anyone stupid enough to fold aces heads up preflop in this situation would be willing to enter a poker tournament for 10k. Knowing their hand does not matter, aces are the best possible starting hand. No winning player passes up an edge that is at least 75/25.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good post!

One thing it depends on is whether you are the best player in the game (or one of the better players). If you are not you would take the 65% chance to double up every time.

However, assuming you are one of the better players you should avoid close gambles early on (this is David S's advice in his book on tournament poker). However, David does not elaborate on what percentage chance to win a close gamble is. I would be inclined to call in this situation. I think 65% is too much to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god someone actually thought about this and didnt just say "i call, youre stupid!"
Old 10-26-2004, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good post!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god someone actually thought about this and didnt just say "i call, youre stupid!"

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth can you pass up a 65/35 edge in a game where its pretty obvious that you aren't in the top 5% of the field?

Don't you realize the power of having twice as many chips as anyone at your table, even if it is just at the start of the tournament?

Greg Raymer said that no good player will knowingly pass up a 60/40 opportunity, and I'm going to have to agree with him.

If you do this, you're going to get run over.