Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 05:36 PM

Default KJo versus some strange betting

First thing I'm wondering is should I be raising this hand preflop in this situation? My read of MP is that he/she will call down is very predictable, passive, and kinda fishy. BB is pretty new to the table so I dont really have much on him, but he seems to like to coldcall, so I'm guessing he'd come along for the ride with any 2 decent cards. I just started playing 6 max yesterday so I'm trying to get used to everything. How's this hand? You'd call the river raise right? or no? Where am I in this hand??

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks.

River: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

Thanks
Ponks
Old 10-27-2004, 05:43 PM

Default Re: KJo versus some strange betting

My only guess is that BB had something like Q2o, and MP's coldcall freaked him out on the turn.

Once MP checked the turn and another queen hit the river, he knew he was good and popped you.

I'd call the river raise, but damn, I think you're behind.

EDIT: Certainly, he could have just hoped for a MP bet on the turn so he could checkraise, but I think that's unlikely. He also could be throwing out a river raise in desperation after his flush draw didn't go through -- I've seen those enough to call this down.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:46 PM

Do you raise preflop or just complete?

Thanks
Ponks
Old 10-27-2004, 05:47 PM

With KJo I usually raise. I think it does better 2-way than 3-way, and you probably buy yourself the pot if an ace hits the flop and neither of them has one.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:53 PM

Yea, I've noticed that a lot. Even if an ace comes on the turn a vast majority of the people will fold there if they dont fold for the flop bet. If I dont hit a pair/draw I dont mind that ace coming at all.

Thanks
Ponks
Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Results

Wow nice read, he had exactly Q2.
MHING

Ponks