Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:17 PM

Default 20/40 Live Hand Check-ups

Commerce 20/40. Full table. As usual, I don't like how I played them, and need someone else to tell me why.

HAND 1: MP is a decent player. SB and BB are both poor players. MP open-raises and I cold-call with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. SB folds and BB calls. Three to the flop.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP bets, I call. BB folds. Headsup.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP bets, I raise. MP goes into the tank for a bit and calls.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP bets, I call.
------------------------------------------------------------
HAND 2: MP player is a very loose player with bursts of aggression. BB is new and seems above average so far. MP open-limps. I limp along with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Folded to BB who checks. Three to the flop.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked around.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, MP raises, I 3-bet. BB thinks for 15 seconds and folds. MP angrily calls.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP checks, I check.

All comments are welcomed.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Live Hand Check-ups

On hand 1, are you planning to bet a blank river if he checks? If so, this looks good to me.

I don't like the flop check on hand 2. Yeah, it's a tiny pot and it's a rainbow board and I see what you're going for here, but I still think betting is better than checking.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:58 PM

I'd rather 3-bet preflop in hand 1 and bet the flop in hand 2.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 AM

i like betting out on the flop in hand 2, why give a free card here?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather 3-bet preflop in hand 1

[/ QUOTE ]
I three-bet much much more than I coldcall in this scenario, however, I belive there are certain opponents where coldcalling AQs on the button facing an MP raise is best (and I'm saying this as someone who almost never coldcalls without others already in the pot). I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming that this was the case here. Does your comment mean that you beleive that there is no scenario where calling here is better than reraising?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 AM

In hand 1, he's probably going into the tank to figure out what made hand you'd play that way, with the BB behind you on the flop and two broadway cards on the board.

Hand 2 I think you need to bet the flop, because a lot of overcard combos will peel. If they don't hit on the turn they'll fold to your bet there anyway.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather 3-bet preflop in hand 1

[/ QUOTE ]
I three-bet much much more than I coldcall in this scenario, however, I belive there are certain opponents where coldcalling AQs on the button facing an MP raise is best (and I'm saying this as someone who almost never coldcalls without others already in the pot). I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming that this was the case here. Does your comment mean that you beleive that there is no scenario where calling here is better than reraising?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I was just saying that I usually like to 3-bet MP opens in that spot, so I was curious why he just called. I was also throwing it out there to see what other people do in that spot.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 AM

"no scenario" means "never," which when incorporated into one's thinking, narrows his/her options. Narrowing one's options is not good in poker.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand 1, he's probably going into the tank to figure out what made hand you'd play that way, with the BB behind you on the flop and two broadway cards on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Turns out the "call" preflop, was a little deceptive.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I think you need to bet the flop, because a lot of overcard combos will peel. If they don't hit on the turn they'll fold to your bet there anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd that Motion, however, I wasn't there.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On hand 1, are you planning to bet a blank river if he checks? If so, this looks good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, I would bet the river. Only chance to win the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop check on hand 2. Yeah, it's a tiny pot and it's a rainbow board and I see what you're going for here, but I still think betting is better than checking.

[/ QUOTE ]I figured two opponents and a rainbow board, it's worth a shot at making some money. I would probably do this 75% of the time. As you can see by the river card, perhaps taking the pot down on the flop was best in this particular case.