Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: stars $60 aw fack i know i should fold but...

[ QUOTE ]
hey, learning noob here. could you guys possibly explain why folding QQ here is correct. I understand it is the bubble and you are calling and all-in, and I also know the calculator will tell you to fold, but could it possibly be explained in words for me why you would fold such a good hand? thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I don't fold here, and I'm not sure why. 2+2ers typically talk about playing aggro at the button, so I think it's safe to assume the UTG raiser has a wider opening range than people are considering.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 65.6024 % 64.94% 00.66% { QcQd }
Hand 2: 34.3976 % 33.74% 00.66% { 77+, A8s+, KJs+, QJs, ATo+, KQo }

I think I instacall.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:41 AM

well ninja, I may be a noob, but I am almost positive that the reason these seasoned players are calling for a fold is because of the money structure. I am almost positive that you cant merely run pokerstove to figure out this problem [like you could at NL ring]. But at the same time your pointing out that his pushing range is wide is valid which is why I would appreciate a clear explination of why you wouldn't call with a clear favorite here [most of the time against his range]. Good discussion is good.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey, learning noob here. could you guys possibly explain why folding QQ here is correct. I understand it is the bubble and you are calling and all-in, and I also know the calculator will tell you to fold, but could it possibly be explained in words for me why you would fold such a good hand? thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons.

1. small blind 200
big blind 400

2. Jhood905 (225 in chips)
KaiserShosa (795 in chips)
gentleman55 (1940 in chips)

That's why. Yeah, KK, is still probably a call, but I think I fold QQ. But here, You want to be in the money, and second place is a pretty good bet, and once you're heads up, anything can happen.

Fold.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply because doubling up 70% of the time or whatever it does has less $-value than folding and letting one of the short stacks bust.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:51 AM

OK, I think I understand that enough. If I may ask another question; for the most part, when you are on the bubble and there are smaller stacks than you, are you mostly just waiting for them to bust and playing it very safe with what you call all-ins with? I'm sorry because I know this is very broad, but I'm wondering if there is at least a slightly easy answer, assuming that you are both under 5 M but you are ahead. Is this an answerable general question? Throw stones if not...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I think I understand that enough. If I may ask another question; for the most part, when you are on the bubble and there are smaller stacks than you, are you mostly just waiting for them to bust and playing it very safe with what you call all-ins with? I'm sorry because I know this is very broad, but I'm wondering if there is at least a slightly easy answer, assuming that you are both under 5 M but you are ahead. Is this an answerable general question? Throw stones if not...

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way to answer a general question is to answer it "generally". So generally speaking, you want to look at the gaps in stack value. In OP's hand, you see that the shortest stack has only 295 and the other one (~800??). This is why folding QQ may be correct. If the stacks were more like 16oo, 1400, 1300, and you have 1600, then folding QQ is wrong. So its not so much "who has the bigger stack" but its more about the stack differences.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 AM

Thank you. Slowly I will learn this crazy STT world. I have other questions about how much relative stack size matters, but I am almost certain that they are far too relative so I will try to look for other oppurtunities to ask. Once again, thanks for helping a n00b.