Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" ESPN Coverage of WSOP Main Event: Final Table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, it wasn't]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was. Stop pretending folding the 4th best possible hand is a matter of routine. It's the type of play which gets a player out of bad situations and possibly to the WSOP Main Event final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to bump this dead horse but ... whatttt??? This is an extremely easy laydown. Imagine the choice words this board would have for Danneman if he'd called with JJ in that situation.

And I didn't read all the posts yet, but I've seen no mention of Kanter pushing with K4. I've never been *that* table weary (and no, I've never been at an ME final table).
Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But going along with the way those guys were playing all night, I figured they would have checked it down. They sort of seemed to be playing "nice poker"

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think so. if a 7 came on the turn you know dannenmann would have bet it, and hachem would have probably called and lost money

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If Dannenman hits his third 7, and bets out, Hachem has to assume he's still in the lead and would IMO end up losing a LOT of money to Dannenman who, at that point, would just about KNOW that he had the hand won.

Forget "nice" poker with 3 left. Besides, if I'm Barch, I don't think it's very "nice" that both guys get together and check it down. To me, that's not nice. Of course it's a common play but screw being nice. Hachem needs to protect his holding there.

Only blatant mistake I recall seeing Hachem make. Kanter on the other hand... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hachem's flop check is bad merely because any AKQ on the turn or river could easily hit Danneman, and a bet will get rid of him. Too simplified?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Hachem's flop check is bad merely because any AKQ on the turn or river could easily hit Danneman, and a bet will get rid of him. Too simplified?

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you make Dannenman fold AK and then an Ace comes on the turn or river causing Barch to get tripled up instead of being eliminated?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:32 AM

I agree, except I'd chalk it up more to making exciting TV rather than not knowing anything about tournament poker.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are Lazar/Chad/McEachern so bent out of shape about the "Quad aces hand"???

It's not like he (Lazar) would have gotten much action IF ANY on the flop/turn/river...he merely would have won what was in the pot.

Settle down guys...

From what I remember, Lazars preflop fold appeared correct to me.

Very surprised he went on tilt so badly after that hand. And Chad was acting like Lazar would have tripled up on that hand or something, what a fool.

Am I missing something? Or is this just another example of Norman and Lon not knowing anything about tournament poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

With three aces on the board, he's going to at least get a value bet call out of both of them. Check the flop, check the turn when you hit the quads, value bet the river. Sure, you're not going to triple up, but you'd come away with a decent pot, when you add the pre-flop action, plus blinds and antes. You probably wuld get the river bets out of them, neither Black nor Barch (at least on TV) seemed to scared of tossing in the river bets.

I think his tilt came from the fact that he folded the fourth ace, added in with the huge amount of pressure that was on all of them at that point. You saw it how he was talking on the next two hands. He felt he should have gambled on the previous hand, and went on tilt for the next two. Everything was, "I'll gamble with you, let's gamble."
Old 11-16-2005, 12:38 AM

I don't mind checking this down for an extra $2 mill.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you make Dannenman fold AK and then an Ace comes on the turn or river causing Barch to get tripled up instead of being eliminated?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. At this point, it's more important to knock out someone than it it to accumulate chips.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:53 AM

Barch said afterward that he would have been the chip leader if he had won that hand. I question the call by Dannenmann with 77 with Hachem to act still behind him, unless he knew Hachem would just call and check it down all the way.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Barch said afterward that he would have been the chip leader if he had won that hand. I question the call by Dannenmann with 77 with Hachem to act still behind him, unless he knew Hachem would just call and check it down all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's reasonable for Dannenmann to think Hachem doesn't have a good enough hand to call such a large bet with. Remember, Dannenmann raised first and Hachem just called with his JJ. Dannenmann probably put him on a hand that wants to see a flop 3-handed.

I'm guessing Dannenmann thought Hachem would fold to Barch's all-in. So, Dannenmann called with his 77 thinking it would be a race.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind checking this down for an extra $2 mill.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pot is humongous. The guy checks, you have JJ on a Txx board. Can you hope for a better scenario with JJ? I dunno looks horrible to me, I bet knowing there is no way Danneman can make a dry side bluff in this spot. But 2 mil is a lot of money and maybe that is why they are there and I'm not.

BTW Danneman made almost no mistakes from the hands they showed in TV maybe the exception is of the last hand. I'm not sure how in the world he gets a rep as anything but a really good player