Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Getting there but...

15/30 at Wynn.

The main villian in this hand hasn't been at the table long, but my temp read of him is that he'se newish to the game and sort of on the conservative side of new. The 2p2er next to me thought I butchered this hand. (Let me know if I got the actiona substantially wrong because the early streets are unclear).

5ish limpers to me in the SB with AJo, I complete(meh), BB checks, we take the flop.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, other check including villian, button bets, I checkraise, villian coldcalls, button calls.

turn is a 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, villian raises, button folds, I call?

river is a J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check planning to checkraise.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Getting there but...

you had 88 and lost against str8...
[censored] happens. bet next time
Old 09-29-2005, 10:15 PM

i like it
Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 PM

How conservative are we talking here? If he's conservative preflop then there aren't a lot of hands in his range that you beat, like zero. If you think he'll play 89s, the I can understand how you might think your in the lead here (I see that as the only hand your beating, assuming he needs 2pair to raise the turn, you did say conservative).

That river card probably didn't help, but I would hate to get 3 bet. I think 1-2 bets on the river is better than 2 and fold to a third, so i'd lead and call a raise. My river play blows though, so take that advice w/ a grain of salt...

lf
Old 09-29-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15/30 at Wynn.

The main villian in this hand hasn't been at the table long, but my temp read of him is that he'se newish to the game and sort of on the conservative side of new. The 2p2er next to me thought I butchered this hand. (Let me know if I got the actiona substantially wrong because the early streets are unclear).

5ish limpers to me in the SB with AJo, I complete(meh), BB checks, we take the flop.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, other check including villian, button bets, I checkraise, villian coldcalls, button calls.

turn is a 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, villian raises, button folds, I call?

river is a J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check planning to checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ibelieve that this guy shows you 78 or a set most of the time. I think you played flop correctly. I think preflop limp is fine, but I think that if you raise you get a set to wake up on flop and you can avoid spewing on later streets if you are determined to call down, otherwise I dont think it makes much difference.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:03 AM

That J was not a heart. Might change the dynamics of the river.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How conservative are we talking here? If he's conservative preflop then there aren't a lot of hands in his range that you beat, like zero. If you think he'll play 89s, the I can understand how you might think your in the lead here (I see that as the only hand your beating, assuming he needs 2pair to raise the turn, you did say conservative).

That river card probably didn't help, but I would hate to get 3 bet. I think 1-2 bets on the river is better than 2 and fold to a third, so i'd lead and call a raise. My river play blows though, so take that advice w/ a grain of salt...

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how conservative because he hasn't been at the table long. I'm inclined to believe he's always doing his betting for value is abotu as far this read took me.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:09 AM

Is he capable of raising the turn for a free showdown? I still think that 1 or 2 is better than 2 or 3, if he raises the turn you might still be looking at 2 pair, and thats ok? If he bets the river, its probably 2 pair, and if he 3bets you're toast.

I'm probably wrong, but I prefer bet/call as opposed to check/raise.

lf