Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Odd AKo hand against a sLAA

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

I noticed him overplaying his draws significantly and I put him on QT,KT, AT, AQ, or another AK, AJ is a possibility. I don't know what I was thinking. I was bet/folding the river. Just tell me this sucks so I can move on.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Odd AKo hand against a sLAA

I don't like the turn C/R.

I think I would just fold this turn. Is that too weak tight?
Unless of course villain REALLY overplays his draws, I think you need to pair up and those won't always be good.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 PM

If I'm folding, I should be folding the flop as the board is draw heavy and my outs are dirty.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:08 PM

If that is your decision, then call the turn bet. The C/R doesn't make anymore sense.

Of course, I'd lead that river. But are you folding this river UI?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Normally I'd fold to the flop raise but given your read I call him down, assuming the turn and river blank.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:17 PM

This is a tough spot. I think I 3 bet the flop and lead the turn. It punishes him if he is on a draw and let's you get away if you are behind, assuming you can fold UI on the turn to a raise.

I don't like the turn c/r, I think you're putting in 2BB when you have no idea where you are.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM

The pot is small on the flop, fold to the flop raise and move on.

Otherwise please don't CR the turn. IF he's indeed overplaying a draw he's going to call the Turn CR in an attempt to draw out on the river. So it's going to cost you 3BB in a small pot to make a bluff (2 bets on the turn and a continuation bet on the river) and he's going to snap you off with a pair.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:05 PM

If your right about your read the c/r is sweet, but rarely a good play. Give your read, I really like bet/calling the flop, check calling the turn.

Against a SLAA like this i think check/calling may be the best play. You have made a good hand on a draw heavy board that missed. I was reading TOP this weekend on river play. Remember, with fair to good hands that you plan to call with you should, check call against opponents who bet with more hands than they call with. And lead out against opponents who call with more hands than they bet with.

If you check, he may continue to bluff his missed draw, the hand you are most likely to beat.

If you lead, he will fold this hand. All you beat is AQ, and he may raise this, in which case you fold the best hand.

Getting to showdown TPTK is good here so I think check calling the river is the best line against his over aggressiveness.

What do you think?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM

This is the kind of play that makes my logical faculties a little queasy:

I understand you have a read that your opponent like to play draws fast.

Do you also know, though, that your opponent doesn't play his good hands fast?

I think it's only valuable to make this kind of play if you not only know your opponent will play this way with a draw but will also generally NOT play this way with a good made hand.

If good made hands make up any substantial part of villain's range here (say, 50%) then this play is simply spewing, particularly in a smallish pot.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is small on the flop, fold to the flop raise and move on.

Otherwise please don't CR the turn. IF he's indeed overplaying a draw he's going to call the Turn CR in an attempt to draw out on the river. So it's going to cost you 3BB in a small pot to make a bluff (2 bets on the turn and a continuation bet on the river) and he's going to snap you off with a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's overplaying a draw, my checkraise is for value.