Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 04:38 AM

Default \"Super Crazy Mega [censored] Tilt\" [semi-rant + content]

So I find myself up a measly 36BB in a little over a month of playing the $10 SNGs and .50-1 NL games. But it's not the small earnings that has me agitated. It's the luck involved in the game. Now, I have no intentions to go on talking about how I quit, but I offer a couple examples of why this game has me somewhat upset.

Playing a .5-1 NL game the other day, I raise UTG with 33. I have one caller to the flop [I have this caller covered in chips about 1.5-1] and it comes down As-3h-6s. I bet out 5 and he calls. Turn is Js, again I bet out 5 and he calls, because I knew with his style of play on the river I'd know if he has the flush (he usually bets strong on the river). The river is what I thought a miracle card- the Ac. I quickly bet out 20, he raises to 30, and I call. I say, "So did my boat crack your flush?" and he promptly turns over AJo for the better boat. Coming into that hand, my stack was at about 120BB, and I finished the session 2 hours later with a stack at 43BB.

So that loss put me on tilt, coupled with another loss with a Q-10-10-A-5 board holding A8o to an extremely aggressive player who pushed on the river (how aggressive? He went all-in earlier with two all-ins in front of him and flipped over 44).

Then this past night I sat down at a nice 7-person tournament. About half an hour into the tournament, my friend and I engage in a pre-flop raising war, where ultimately, I put him all in. He shows KK and I have AA (mind you this was coming right off of a misdeal). The flop comes 8-9-10, turn his miracle K, and then the river a harmless 10. A few hands later, after having recited Hellmuth's favorite line, "If there was no luck involved I'd win every one," I call with KQo and the player next to me rasies all-in. After everyone folds to me, and taking into account that it's the best hand I'll probably see and the blinds are coming to eat my short stack, I called. He turns over 66. The flop comes down in this order, Q-4-6, and with bricks on the turn and river, my night is done.

Now, that put me on even more mega-crazy tilt, and I dropped another 10BB in a .25-.5 side game.

But for the entire night I all but berated UTG+1 for going all-in with 66. He was the big stack at the table and second to act with 66, and yet he decided to push with pretty much the rest of the table to act with what many would consider a medicore hand. I know he didn't appreciate what I said, nor did he care, but I guess that begs the question- was I right in questioning his play? And in retrospect, my push as the short stack could have probably waited, correct?

And so here's the final question- am I better off taking a few days off or playing out this unlucky streak as regularly as I usually play?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: \"Super Crazy Mega [censored] Tilt\" [semi-rant + content]

No one cares, everyone has those bAD bEATS
Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 AM

is this really a serious post?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:51 AM

You're an idiot. This post was enough to demonstrate that but I would also like to point out that the statement in bold below does not mean what you think it means.

[ QUOTE ]
I know he didn't appreciate what I said, nor did he care, but I guess that begs the question- was I right in questioning his play?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 AM

where's that wambulance gimmick account?

he should be here already
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing a .5-1 NL game the other day, I raise UTG with 33.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here
Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stopped reading here

[/ QUOTE ]

As did I...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, you were the smart one. I continued on to these gems:

[ QUOTE ]
coupled with another loss with a Q-10-10-A-5 board holding A8o

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But for the entire night I all but berated UTG+1 for going all-in with 66. ... but I guess that begs the question- was I right in questioning his play?

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP - don't criticize/berate other's play at the tables. It is in poor form and counter productive. It makes you look like an ass besides.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot. This post was enough to demonstrate that but I would also like to point out that the statement in bold below does not mean what you think it means.

[ QUOTE ]
I know he didn't appreciate what I said, nor did he care, but I guess that begs the question- was I right in questioning his play?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel the need to call him an idiot?

To the OP. Most posters on the forum have play A LOT of poker. We've all seen much worse bad beats than you have, and gone on bigger downswings. You have to remember that bad beats are a part of the game, and they're what keeps the fish coming back. Just keep playing poker and try to get yourself to the point where these things don't bother you mentally and you always play your best game.

Also, try to get better, there's a good chance you're not as good as you think you are.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:15 PM

Paging Useless Thread