Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 02:35 PM

Default To all you 2/4 players - how many hands of 2/4 have you played, and...

why aren't you playing 3/6?

reasons might include, but aren't limited to

1) bankroll
2) confidence
3) fish factor - 2/4 is fun
4) still want to learn some lessons 2/4 has to teach - blind play, marginal hands out of position, aggression with more marginal hands
5) want to experience a downswing so it hurts less at 3/6
6) I'm a huge flaming wuss.

I've played about 5K hands of 2/4, and I'm thinking about moving up to 3/6 after another 5K. I'm running ok, not great, not bad. I just want to get a handle on whether or not I should stick around past 10K - I stayed around 1/2 for a long time and it helped my game fo sho. I saw about 20 posts in the micro forum about the differences between .5/1 and 1/2 and 2/4, but not much is mentioned about 3/6 except "play tighter in the small blind." so really I'm just hoping to start some discussion here.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: To all you 2/4 players - how many hands of 2/4 have you played, an

1) bankroll - I have a 2000BB bankroll for 3/6
2) confidence - Somewhat. I believe 3/6 is tougher.
3) fish factor - 2/4 is fun - No
4) still want to learn some lessons 2/4 has to teach - blind play, marginal hands out of position, aggression with more marginal hands - I don't think you can learn some of these things at 2/4.
5) want to experience a downswing so it hurts less at 3/6 - Couldn't care less.
6) I'm a huge flaming wuss. - Nope

7) I think in terms of money 2/4 is more profitable than 3/6. I bought a house and withdrew a lot of money to pay for it without paying taxes. I was expecting to pay ~8K in taxes. Because of this I've pretty much been trying to make money and I think 2/4 is better for than than 3/6.

Krishan
Old 03-08-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: To all you 2/4 players - how many hands of 2/4 have you played, and...

About 16k.

I'm a huge flaming wuss.

Seriously, I just decided to get 25k at least at 2/4 before moving up. I've played a some 3/6. I don't think the difference is huge. At least not from what I've seen. I think most people who can win at 2/4 can also win at 3/6. But that's the biggest reason for me. Bankroll and confidence are fine. I just decided arbitrarily to get 25k, see how the results are, and then move up. When I do move up I'll probably still play some of both.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: To all you 2/4 players - how many hands of 2/4 have you played, and...

Kevin:

I'm already migrating into 3/6 and have dabbled a bit into 5/10 (although I've been at these limits before I wiped out my BR 5 months ago..and have always played close to weak/tight at 5/10 because they numbers get really big for me no matter the size of my BR), and I've only logged 7K hands at 2/4. Honestly, I don't see why not. If you can still play correctly (ie not afraid to raise and so forth because of the size of the bet eating into your BR), then go at it. I remember you saying that you like to play 10K at one level before moving up...but I don't know why you made that rule. Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the players.

That's my opinion, FWIW.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I don't know why you made that rule

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither. it's a nice pretty number.

I even once demanded that I win 300 BB at my limit before moving up, but now Feeney has me questioning that.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:52 PM

ASF at 2/4 is ~35%.
ASF at 3/6 is ~32%. (this is from memory and might be wrong)

Every night someone at 2/4 makes a totally inappropriate move on the river and I take their money. The thing is, it's not a 1 (or 2 if they CR) BB error, it's putting money in all the way to the river as a huge dog. This just doesn't happen at 3/6.

Bison who lived off these games played 2/4 at certain times of the day/week because the 3/6 games were not as profitable.

Krishan
Old 03-08-2005, 02:53 PM

About 10K.

#3 & #4.

I feel I'm much better than many of my 2/4 opponents, but there are still many threads that come up here where I'm really unsure of my action. While I learn these things I can make a very good earn playing at 2/4.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe 3/6 is tougher

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a huge stickler for table selection. I almost always check out every table at PP several times. I've done this at both levels (2/4 and 3/6) and there are always beautiful talbes at both levels. I think it just boils down to table selection. I think the only difference is that you have people willing to risk higher stakes.

I have a friend who has a lot of money and absolutely sucks (I mean that in the strongest sense of the word) at poker but loves to gamble. He has played 3/6 and higher (up to 10/20 a couple of weekends ago). He doesn't play lower than that becuase he doesn't take an $8 raise seriously he told me. I'm just relaying the story to say that there are plenty of poor players at both of these levels...just have to be selective.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:57 PM

yeah...I remember seeing that in one of your posts as well. I've only beaten 2/4 for about 1BB/100, but I've been whoring bonuses like a pro and my BR is plenty big for 3/6 and 5/10, so I see no reason to stay put.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:57 PM

No reason to not play 3/6, you'll want to learn the lessons presented there sooner or later. And if you have the bankroll for it, why not sooner?

Try this, take your 1800-2400 to the 3/6 table and play. If you drop down to 1000-1600, step back down to 2/4. Do this until you feel like you've managed the swings.

And be prepared to sit at tables where 50% of the players are 10-15/5-10 (mostly 3+ MTers), and 4 players range between 65/2 and 40/15. Also keep in mind that later street play is not at all dependant on the PF numbers - this is highlighted in 3/6.

- Jim