Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: How do I get my girlfriend to stop asking about results?

I also get the feeling that she might not be sexually satisfied in this relationship.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM

havent read the whole thread but here is my opinion:

tell her pretty much what you told us but in a language easier for her to understand.

tell her that you play in these tournaments, where you lose many in a row until you win 1, and that 1 win makes up for all the losses. tell her that because you lose more often than you win, if you always told her you lost you would start to feel pessimistic and you also dont want her to think that you are a loser. explain to her that youre going to lose alot, but when you do make a big score show your enthusiasm and let her know about it.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:11 AM

Go down to your local 7-11. Buy a Soldier of Fortune Magazine. In the back there are ads for people that will take care of problems like annoying girlfriends reasonably inexpensively.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM

Some people will never get over this. I try to talk to my mother every day, and invariably she'll ask how I did the night before at Foxwoods if I went or on Party Poker. Thankfully, most of the time I post a profit, and she is happy to hear that. When I don't, she says I shouldn't've played that night.

Thanks, mom, I should realize in advance those nights I'll post losing sessions and not play.

Just face it: some people will never "get it."

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-21-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I get my girlfriend to stop asking how much I am up or down for the day? She will ask me how I am doing and I will say OK. She will say that means I lost and will ask how much. Then she will start naming figures and asking which is right. I get really mad. She then says I get cranky when I lose. I keep telling her that I really don't want to discuss how much I am up or down for the day. It is not good for my game to focus on that or have to report it to someone. She says that poker is all I focus on all day and she wants to be a part of it. She says she wants to be excited when I have a good result. I do tell her when I have a final table in a tournament or something. However, I don't want to discuss how I am doing on the day. My strength is playing MTTs and I usually am going to be down on the day, because of their speculative nature. This is a type of work where there are ups and downs, It is not something you want to focus on or let it effect your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife asks me all the time. I tell her both good and bad. When I find myself talking about results, when they are negative, she asks, "Did you play your best? OR Did you take a break when you made obvious mistakes?"

She helps me focus on the task at hand and she knew what questions to ask because when I first started playing and I was focused on results, she somehow knew that with gambling there will be ups and downs. Plus, because she knows me so well, she figured that if she got me to think of how I'm playing instead of the end result, then I'll stop thinking about them. I love it when I make a final table or do well in a particular day, and I talk about it incessantly, she will say something like, "Think pretty highly of yourself do you?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] She's initially happy when it happens, but when the ego kicks in and I start deluding myself, it grounds me. I'm pretty lucky.

Call me superstitious, but what I am having difficulty with is having my wife talk to others about how well I'm doing. That insures a loss the next time I play. Really, it does...no joke, for real, no lie. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PB
Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Give Her Rules

Give her some rules. Such as:
1. You may never ask me how much...NEVER. Because it f*** with poker mental process. Explain to her a person can play like **** and still make tons of money. Playing well is all that matters.
2. You may me questions such as:
Did you play well today?
Did you make some great laydowns?
and I'm sure you can think of some others that will allow her feel included and feel excited.

As with any rules there must be consequences. If she breaks rule explain the rules again. If she breaks it again then tell her she is 'cut off' from poker info for a week and follow thru with your threat.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Give Her Rules

Guys

Women > Poker.

I get the feeling a lot of people in this thread don't get laid a ton.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM

hit her
Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Give Her Rules

[ QUOTE ]
Guys

Women > Poker.

I get the feeling a lot of people in this thread don't get laid a ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think women > poker, then it's probably you that doesn't get laid my friend. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It takes a hell of a woman to be better than none at all.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:41 PM

Default The correct formula

I'm afraid you have not figured out the correct formula yet. It is:

Sex > ( Money x n = Women)

Wherein n = Poker