Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Turbo Texas vs. AceSpace vs. Poki\'s Academy

Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a poker training tool. It seems to me that the 3 choices are Turbo Texas Hold'em (by Wilson), AceSpace's Texas Hold'em suite, and the new Poki's Poker Academy.

I have downloaded the demos for both Poki and Turbo. I think turbo has a good advice feature, but I think that advice can only go so far, since it doesn't adapt to the game play of your opponents. Apparently "Mike" (the hardest player for Turbo) does not employ an adaptive algorithm. The program costs $90. Also they have this add-on called Sidewinder Sid (for an addition $15). Has anyone used this add-on? If so, is it worth it?

Poki seems to have the most advanced AI features -- adaptive algorithms, random game-theoretic optimal strategies, etc. But the drawback i see is it lacks the training/advice needed to defeat the bot(s). It costs $70

I have no idea about AceSpace's suite because they don't offer a downloadable demo. They do say that their advice and AI is superior Turbo's, but I dont' think I can trust their self-promotion. I also noticed that their suite costs $120. Has anyone used this software?

I invite people to reply to this thread so we can all get an idea of all the different products out there!
Old 12-19-2003, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Turbo Texas vs. AceSpace vs. Poki\'s Academy

Vandar,

I only have TTH, so I can't comment on the competitors. Don't buy TTH for the advisor. There have been previous threads here knocking the advisor, and I think that those posters are correct. It does have some value, if you compare it with what you think, and it does give you odds.

Sidewinder Sid gives the same advice. I wouldn't buy it. It is very slow and clunky as a program.

TTH is a good program if you need to practice playing Hold "Em. I got it because I had never played the game and hadn't played poker in 35 years. If you have more experience it may not be helpful to you. You can practice against a variety of opponents and can replay hands to test different strategies. That is much more valuable than the advisor. My biggest problem is reading other players from the betting patterns, and playing many hands against the different profiles has improved my skill in that area.

Ragnar
Old 12-19-2003, 09:46 PM

Hi Vandar:

When we looked at TTH we were simply stunned as to the poor quality of play and the poor quality of the advice, and we communicated this back to Wilson software. Acespades also had problems in this area, but it was not nearly as severe. So in my opinion, even though it does not have as many "bells and whistles," Acespades is the better product.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-21-2003, 07:55 PM

As for TTH,I've got it,along with Sid.I'm not qualified to say that it is a terrible program,I think it trys to teach a "tight-aggressive style.If you are planning on playing low limit(2-4 3-6 or 4-8)in a typical B&M room...I really think this program will HELP,not make you an expert.No software,no matter how advanced,can teach feel,how to read opponents,etc,etc.Its good to practice on. As for middle to high limits,I wouldn't advise using alot of the advice they give.Good luck!
Old 12-21-2003, 08:54 PM

Hi Vandar,

I purchased the Acespade tournament package a while ago and although it's not much to look at in comparison to Wilsons software i think it plays a pretty tough game. I can't compare it with either Poki or Wilsons TTH though, cause i haven't tried them. But to me it was well worth the $90. The players do practically everything (A.I), so you can't just play by the book you have to adjust. It also has an advisor. So which one should you buy? I don't know. You'll have to decide that for yourself.

Good luck,
ARTMAN
Old 12-23-2003, 08:02 PM

Mason,

I completely agree about the weakness of play of both the opponents and the advisor contained in TTH. I have been wondering lately if this is simply a flaw in the default decisions given to most opponents or in the whole decision making system contained in the program.

That is, do you think it would be possible to modify one of the given opponents, or create one of your own, that would closer simulate a more realistic and more profitable playing style using the options given to you by the program? If someone was able to do this(or already has) then I think Wilson could be a very powerful tool. I have tried to make a few tweaks here and there to increase the skill of the computer, with a little success, but I can't help but think that no matter what I do I will end up with a very unrealistic representation of a poker player.