Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Default 3 Flush probably H/U

This is along the lines of Istream's common situation post. You're in a tight game where the high card just about always raises and drags the antes. Aside from the fact that the game stinks, this one spot has me thinking.

The board is K high. A fold or two to a tough player with the K and he completes. It's 50-50 whether he has K's or not. You have a 3 flush Q up, all live, with all low cards behind that are probably not playing. Do you fold, call or re-raise knowing you'll probably be h/u?

I think it's a fold because he'll keep the pressure on, even if stealing. If by 5th I show no improvement, I'd likely have to put in a bluff raise and a bet on 6th to win if he was stealing. I don't think a call here makes sense if you're likely to be h/u and folding unimproved on 5th.

I didn't specify a structure because I'm not sure it matters. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: 3 Flush probably H/U

As has been pointed out, I'm too loose, but I do call here. It may not be right, but it's what I do. If you hit a Queen on fourth street, it should buy you the pot. If you make a four-flush, you become the money favorite most of the time. So that's twelve cards out of forty unseen cards that will give you a favorable situation on fourth street. Maybe if you hit an Ace it will scare the other guy off. When you consider that most players won't necessarily require a premium holding to raise first-in in a tight game, I think this at least makes it such that calling with the three-flush isn't laughable. If your opponent is the timid type, calling is even more favorable.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: 3 Flush probably H/U

[ QUOTE ]
If you hit a Queen on fourth street, it should buy you the pot. If you make a four-flush, you become the money favorite most of the time. So that's twelve cards out of forty unseen cards that will give you a favorable situation on fourth street. Maybe if you hit an Ace it will scare the other guy off.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. Good points. Thanks Andy.