Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Life expectancy of a post in SS...WTF

I have a lot of respect for SS and enjoy looking thru it. Really good players around here. I find a post I think is interesting, reply to it, come back the same day to find it on pg 4 or 5. WTF.

Even if no one gives a sh*t about what I or some others have to say, and I don't blame them at all, how can anyone learn anything about the play of a posted hand if it has a life expectancy of 10 min?

If it won't last a day, why bother? The sh*t about bangin ho's and assorted other frat house stuff that has zero to do with poker lasts for weeks. Is this the hang out forum for young, single guys, or the one for serious discussion about the merits of a play/hand for stakes lower than $30-60?

Just some ramblings from some forty something yr old guy, who's played pretty decent poker for a while now but still has a lot to learn, wondering wtf is going on with post after post with 4 replies each. It's quality, not quantity. Flame away.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Life expectancy of a post in SS...WTF

The problem is that people post far more hands of their own than they do replies to hands already posted. This should not be the norm. It is not the optimal way to improve your game, i.e. posting a hand and sitting back to see what everyone else thinks. People should be analyzing and posting about at least 20 hands for every hand they post themselves. I was guilty of this at one time. Sometimes people just need to be reminded. Like with this thread. Other times some old-timers will just bump an extant thread about hand spam.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:35 PM

This is the only non-strat hand that is currently on page 1 of small stakes. Oh the irony!
Old 11-12-2005, 10:52 PM

Bump your threads by answering to everyone's input.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the only non-strat hand that is currently on page 1 of small stakes. Oh the irony!

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, the problem pointed out by the OP occurs frequently.

The difficulty is that it is easier to post/reply to casual threads. The hardest posts to reply to are the trickiest hands. It would be nice if the board made a little effort not to criticize replies (or even say a nice thing about them), even if there is a disagreement. Especially on hard hands, where people often get things wrong in their replies. The point of the forum is for us to learn, not to try to show how smart we are.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:50 PM

I agree, to an extent. I mean, you can't really expect every hand to generate 30-50 replies. I kind of like being able to go through 20-30 different hands when I log in, rather than a long discussion about limping JKo UTG vs raising. Typically anytime there is a big discussion about something, it's because the ev one way or another is extremely minimal and people can't really decide which is best.

The short threads are often the most helpful imo. Someone posts a situation, 4 people reply with the same recommendation, end of thread. Content is useful because you don't walk away from it more confused then before you read it.

We're here to improve, and I don't think improvement requires a 3 page discussion every time.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, to an extent. I mean, you can't really expect every hand to generate 30-50 replies. I kind of like being able to go through 20-30 different hands when I log in, rather than a long discussion about limping JKo UTG vs raising. Typically anytime there is a big discussion about something, it's because the ev one way or another is extremely minimal and people can't really decide which is best.

The short threads are often the most helpful imo. Someone posts a situation, 4 people reply with the same recommendation, end of thread. Content is useful because you don't walk away from it more confused then before you read it.

We're here to improve, and I don't think improvement requires a 3 page discussion every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well damn. You make a pretty good point.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:38 AM

OP is not without his point. To a certain extent I feel like this forum serves as a private club for inside material between the better-known posters, often for stuff that more properly belongs in OOT. Couple that with the ad-hoc forum-specific jargon ("screwplay," "floater," "sexyplay" etc.) and it's easy to feel lost. In truth, though, I'd post more if I weren't playing 2/4 and therefore rarely feeling like I have a tough decision.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To a certain extent I feel like this forum serves as a private club for inside material between the better-known posters,

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this. There are several posters on this forum who are in somewhat of a clique and only analyze and reply to each others' hands. I don't necessarily blame them for not wanting to comment on the same situations over and over, but it is unfortunate for those of us that have a lot to learn from their expertise.