Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Optimum line question

Live game that's playing very loose with numerous coldcallers.

It's a raised pot with 5 in already and you call in the BB with K9s. The raiser is in MP, he plays loose with avg aggression, and can have a wide range.

Flop is AAK none of your suits. (How much does it change your line if you have the back door fl?)

Whether the SB is out or checks to you, the action is on you. What's the best line to take for flop and turn?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Optimum line question

check-fold.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Check and evaluate, but probably fold.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Bump

I'm getting crazy and bumping my own thread because I find it hard to believe this question isn't interesting and doesn't have any merit. Is check-folding a K on an AAK flop really that easy, when it was raised 5 way pf and only the raiser may bet?

I'm really surprised by check-fold for this reason. Let's give the raiser 77-QQ (33 combo's because you have a 9). How does he play the flop? It'll be one of 5 ways.

1 - Bet and likely fold to a c/r. If he peels, he'll fold or check behind the turn.

2 - Bet and, if not raised, likely check behind the turn to a caller. Who's calling that flop besides an A or a K? If he fires again on the turn and you call again, how many players fire the 3rd bullet with 77-QQ?

3 - Check behind.

4 - Fold to a bet.

5 - Raise a bet.

Of those 5, I think raising is the least likely.

If he checked the flop, leading the turn is how an A or KK might very well play it. He'll do 1 of 2 things on the turn -

1 - Raise and fold to a 3 bet, but that seems like the worst choice to play one of those hands.

2 - Lead, represent and fold to a raise. If called, he checks behind or folds the river.

I think it's giving away too much to a 77-QQ raiser who could make a continuation bet to find out where he's at before the turn and no giving up so easy in this raised pot has to be considered.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 PM

EASY check and fold. You were hoping to flop a flush draw, two pair, trips, etc. and you didn't. Any A, KQ, KJ, KT all have you crushed. With that board, having a backdoor flush draw doesn't change a thing for me.