Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Muslim Groups Cheer Aquittal of Cheerleader of Islamic Terrorism

[ QUOTE ]
The point MMMMMM was making, was that these domestic Moslem groups who claim not to support terrorism, are hailing his acquittal despite the amount of evidence. Even if the jury system did work and there wasn't sufficient evidence to convict, they should not be supporting someone who has been proved to support terrorism just by his own words and actions in the evidence presented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proved?

Many on this forum who are likely to consider that he is proved to be a terrorist supporter are likely those who accuse Chris Alger of being Anti-American or who think I am a liberal. They have much to understand about proper thinking.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 PM

Things like this lead to riots - like the ones in Australia.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fine, but one main issue under discussion isn't whether or not al-Arian is technically guilty--it is that he has proclaimed his wishes aloud in his own words, and those words show he is a terrorist supporter, with terrorists' goals. Therefore, the legitimate American Muslim community should shun him and condemn his views and words, rather than cheer him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not possibly agree more. Well put.

The American Muslim community, IMO, has had their collective heads in the sand and must have some of the worst advisors/PR people, this side of GWB.

I said long ago that they should have been out front with an anti-extremist campaign. Look at how the Saudi royal family gets the PR folks working whenever they need to put a positive spin on something.

The few Muslims I've known were all kind, humble folks. Not to say I haven't run across a few nutcases, but I don't consider that to be "knowing" them. My thoughts about Islam, pre-Osama, et al, was that it was a very deep, philosophical belief system. The Muslims I've known were all true to their faith, but always accepting of non-believers.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"As a result of the trial, al-Arian has been forced to admit that he did, in fact, have an intimate working relationship with Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ). Why? Because he was caught on tape coordinating with them, again and again and again.

Al-Arian also admitted that he wrote a letter—which he allegedly attempted to send, but could not do so successfully—to a Kuwaiti legislator urging him to support the families of suicide bombers in order to provide “support of the jihad effort in Palestine so that [suicide] operations such as these can continue.” He wrote the letter just weeks after President Clinton had signed an executive order banning financial and material support of PIJ. Again, this is only known because the government introduced it as evidence during trial.

[/ QUOTE ]

AC, the above information does prove it, regardless of whether or not it met the standards of a certain statute for conviction.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...proper thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who(m) decides what's proper?

That phrase sounds like something from Mein Kampf, Joseph Stalin, Mao-baby, or [i]1984[/b].
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he was a terrorist supporter with terrorists goals he would have been convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no, not necessarily. From his words it is clear that he is in support of terrorism--but that in itself does not necessarily mean that he has contributed material support to terrorism, or has incited it. Support can be either ideological, material, or both. I'm not sure what the statutes are, but look:

"Al-Arian also admitted that he wrote a letter—which he allegedly attempted to send, but could not do so successfully—to a Kuwaiti legislator urging him to support the families of suicide bombers in order to provide “support of the jihad effort in Palestine so that [suicide] operations such as these can continue.” He wrote the letter just weeks after President Clinton had signed an executive order banning financial and material support of PIJ. Again, this is only known because the government introduced it as evidence during trial."

Also:

"At the 1990 ICP conference, Al-Arian addressed the crowd of 200 people in St. Louis called for “true armed jihad against the enemy in Israel.”"

So he obviously supports terrorism in belief, as his own words clearly show. Whether that also means he is guilty of a crime, perhaps material support or incitement, may be another matter. But as I've said, on the basis of his words, the legitimate American Muslim community should shun and condemn, rather than applaud.

[ QUOTE ]
THe govt has vast resources and a strong political motivation to obtain a conviction.Perhaps in this case the system worked as intended to control out of control government machinations. A far more plausible scenario, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more plausible scenario actually is that you really don't know anything about this case, and are just talking out of your butt. But that is not the issue here: the issue is that al-Arian has clearly made statements in support of terrorism, and the American Muslim community should be condemning that, rather than sympathizing with or applauding him.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 PM

CAIR one of the groups maligned in this forum is particularly inept at condemning terrorism and perhaps PR in general. Of course they view part of their mandate to help defend Arabs who are attacked by American press and/or by the govt (if they feel that the attack is unjust). So, in a sense they are doing their jobs. They are sort of the same as some of the Jewish organizations or perhaps the NAACP and perhaps there are Indian, African and other organizations that are similar.

However, IMO, they could do it better -- and so could a lot of others. However, those on this forum who are ready to wipe out the Jury's opinion need to reconsider. As far as I can tell, this is based on half knowledge, internet opinions and emotion.

Your thoughts on Islam are a refreshing and welcome change from some of the misconceptions offered by some on this forum as facts.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:42 PM

I don't know enough about CAIR to comment on what they've done or not done.

The real "push" should have come from the US leaders of Islam, IMO. Sorry to say I can't even tell you if they're called Ayatollah here, but those men acknowledged to be the leaders. Those are the men the average US citizen would listen to.

I know Islam doesn't have a "pope," but maybe they should consider the office. It certainly would help clear a lot of foggy, smelly air if they had one "true" spokesman. Again, IMO.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 PM

Unfortunately, Islam was set up as a personal religion without a formal structure (like the Pope). This has led to many interpretations including some extremist interpretations. A religion should really be personal rather than come with a political structure. Unfortunately, for Islam, this has created a PR problem in modern society as there is no single voice. The Mullah with the biggest loudspeaker is picked up by some to be the true voice of Islam and the silence on the part of the many is considered to be acceptance of the terrorist activities.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know enough about CAIR to comment on what they've done or not done.

The real "push" should have come from the US leaders of Islam, IMO. Sorry to say I can't even tell you if they're called Ayatollah here, but those men acknowledged to be the leaders. Those are the men the average US citizen would listen to.

I know Islam doesn't have a "pope," but maybe they should consider the office. It certainly would help clear a lot of foggy, smelly air if they had one "true" spokesman. Again, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

A formal religious heirarchy will never arise in Islam. It would go against the direct word of the Koran.