Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 AM

Default 22, river boat, best play

I didnt notice that this was PL until this hand. Lets assume it is NL for arguements sake.

Villain is typical unknown 100nler.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em (PL$100) <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

SB ($75.25)
BB ($233.53)
Hero ($149.50)
CO ($29.50)
Button ($81.86)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Button calls $1.00, SB calls $0.50, BB checks.

Flop: ($5.00) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.25</font>, CO folds, Button calls $4.25, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($13.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8.00</font>, Button calls $8.00.

River: ($29.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

Value bet? Pot? Overbetpush? C/R all in? What works best here?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: 22, river boat, best play

I like a check raise all in.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not c/r rivers anywhere near the optimal amount. What criteria do you usually look through when doing so.

Here villain either has JQ, a strong overpair, A9 (MAYBE, but prob not), or a 10. All of those hands will bet (except maybe jq, which wont call) If I check to them, therefore c/r?

Is this the kinda stuff you think about in these situations?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:13 AM

I think it's very likely villain has a naked ten here, there was no raise preflop so probably not an overpair and nothing else makes much sense to call you down with except for maybe QJ. If villain has been calling you down for this long with just a pair of tens, he's definetly not folding when his hand improves, so I'd either overbet push, or C/R push all in..I'd definetly try to get it all-in here though, I don't think a pot-size bet or less is good here..it might get him off cheaper than he should.

EDIT: Since this is PL, you should definetly try for the check-raise.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 AM

i usually 3/4 - pot it.. but i'm interested to see what a c-r would bring.

and man, i made the same damn mistake playing PL instead of NL.. but i came off with ~150 in 24 hands or something.. like 564ptbb/100 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not c/r rivers anywhere near the optimal amount. What criteria do you usually look through when doing so.

Here villain either has JQ, a strong overpair, A9 (MAYBE, but prob not), or a 10. All of those hands will bet (except maybe jq, which wont call) If I check to them, therefore c/r?

Is this the kinda stuff you think about in these situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the c/r here because I think too many hands check behind, and then you end up showing your cards for free. Also, I don't think a villain with *any* hand you mention bets the river, except the ten. A9 is scared you just made trips and are going to c/r. JQ missed and will not call a bet... they might bluff at the pot, but they're unlikely to call a reasonable bet. An overpair would have raised the flop or turn - probably the flop. Very few other hands make any sense.

If it were me, I'd underbet; I'd bet like $5 or $6 into the $30 pot, because I'd want to force weak hands to fold, but the underbet makes it look like I'm scared and trying to protect my pot equity, and may induce a raise from a T or such. Opponent could also have 68s or J8s, but those are sort of unimportant because if he DOES, hero is getting paid off to some degree - and in this game, it might be his whole stack. I think opponent is on JT, maybe QT a lot of the time, sometimes KT, and rarely AT, I think a busted draw is most likely, so I like the underbet. Protect your hand from showing down free, but induce a reraise from a strong (but weaker than yours) hand or from missed bluffs.