Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Worst TV plays ever

The worst play that I can think of was made by Alan Shein when he either called an all-in or went all-in against D'Agastino with AK on a KQJ board, when Schein was in second place in the tourney. D'Ag flipped over QQ and knocked him out.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also no limpers. Folded to Corkins who pushed his 30xBB stack with 97. D'ags calls with 30xBB + 1 chip with TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, then Hoyt is the winner of this infamous contest.

donk, donk, donk, donk, donk.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Some guy tried to steal devilfish blinds with K5s. Blinds on 4000, guys stack was 170k devilfish had about 1 million. The old man raised to 20k. Devislfish pushed with 77. The old man called in split a second and got knocked out. Probably not the worst play ever in WPT, but pretty horrible.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM

I thought lee watkinsons call of doyle's all in with a pair of 3's was pretty bad on the legends of poker event. Lee had shown some serious calling station tendencies, and you could tell Doyle was just waiting to pounce, which he did.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 PM

I wouldn't call Murphy's all-in one of the worst plays because its an easy mistake to make under the lights.

How about David Williams dark check with 55? Or when its shown, Aaron Kanter's K5 hand...
Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 PM

Yes, Kanter's K5 hand is the worst. Though to be fair, it hasn't been televised yet. I remember reading that in absoloute disbelief. How does someone who makes a play like that make it that far in the WSOP ME in that field?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:12 PM

Here it is, it blatantly defies logic:

Date / Time: 2005-07-16 01:28:00
Title: Tex Barch Doubles Up Through Aaron Kanter
Log: Hand 131 - Joseph Hachem has the button in seat 1, and he raises to $480,000, winning the blinds and antes.

Hand 132 - Andrew Black has the button in seat 2, Hachem limps for $200,000, Barch limps from the small blind, and Kanter checks his option. The flop comes Kc-10s-7s, it's checked to Hachem, who bets $450,000, Barch reraises to $1,000,000, Kanter reraises to $2,000,000, and it's back to Hachem, who clearly didn't expect this. Hachem folds.

Barch thinks a bit, then reraises to $4,500,000. We have a huge pot, and the preflop action was nothing but limpers. What does everyone have? Pocket sevens? As-Ks? Qs-Js? A bluff?

Minutes pass as Kanter's mind works through the possibilities. The crowd starts to get a little restless, and you can hear the murmur as everyone has their own theories about who has what, and whether or not Kanter will stay in the hand.

After several very long minutes, Aaron Kanter quietly says, "All in." Now the spotlight is back on Tex Barch. He stands up to think, and after another minute or two he makes the call.

Tex Barch shows Kd-7d (two pair), while Kanter has Kh-5d (one pair). Kanter needs to hit a ten or something runner-runner to win this pot. The turn card is the Qh, and Kanter needs to catch a ten or a queen to tie, chopping the pot.

The river card is the Jd, and Tex Barch has doubled up into the chip lead, with about $22,000,000. That was the biggest pot in World Series of Poker history.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 PM

I remember watching Forrest's play on the river against Negraneu on the river, and when he at-the-time inexplicably checked, I was baffled.

But after a lot of thought, I realized, there was no value bet there. If Forrest bets, how much? He's made the second nuts and if he makes a huge bet, he could be betting right into DN's fourth six. And if he makes a huge bet DN probably folds. If he makes a small bet, DN could raise him and maybe send off some alarms, considering the way Danny played the hand. Ultimately, there was no value bet on the river, and thus, in my mind, a check makes sense.

Yeah, sure, DN said after the cards were shown, something to the effect of "you saved me a lot of money on that hand," but I guess Forrest just couldn't figure out what the right bet was there.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:06 PM

If he pushed DN would call especially since DN thought his kicker got counterfeited. basically DN would call expecting to see a chop.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:47 PM

Please explain how Daniel could hold a 6 after the preflop cold call?