Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 06:02 PM

Default 100/200 Turn and River Play

We are playing 7 handed at a club in Chicago.
No reads but these, only been at the table for an hour.Four of the guys are really solid players. One is a tricky player who is one of the best players I have played against. The last player is the reason I am in the game. I'd say he is a -1 BB/hour player.

solid player 1 (SP1) open raises UTG. Tricky player re-raises (TP) and I call on the button with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the blinds fold...

Three handed, we see a flop of 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check, Check, I bet, Raise, Raise, I decide I want to see what the turn brings and call, SP1 calls. The turn is an A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. This card could either help me or hurt me. SP1 checks, TP bets...

Hero... Raises. I decided to throw a curveball and semi-bluff raise. I might have the best hand, but if I don't, I can at least force out SP1 with it two bets to him.

Plan backfires, he calls, so does TP.

River comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Now SP1 comes to life and bets, TP calls, and I think about my options:

Fold - I don't think this is an option. There is way too much money in the pot.

Call - I am probably beat, I am thinking it's worth it to call here.

Raise - I like this option the most. If I raise, I can force out TP and I will have 33% of the money in the pot for an estimated 40% at winning.

I decide to raise but SP1 throws an unexpected three-bet. TP calls, and I call.

I know I butchered this hand, but where did I go wrong?

Thanks a lot. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: 100/200 Turn and River Play

I think you missed value on the river by not capping it.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The last player is the reason I am in the game. I'd say he is a -1 BB/hour player.

[/ QUOTE ]

followed by:

[ QUOTE ]
solid player 1 (SP1) open raises UTG. Tricky player re-raises (TP) and I call on the button with 6 7 ...

[/ QUOTE ]

??

no sir...you are the reason they are there.

EDIT: i stopped reading after the above. but the flop is also crazy. you have no heart, you have 2+2=4 outs on the flop vs. an overpair b/c a 7h does nothing for you + the straight draw. nowhere near enough to call the 2 more cold back to you. on the turn you are also beat so often but now the pot is big. horrible to raise there.

same on the river you are just so beat its silly unless your reads on the players are way way off.

-Barron
Old 07-16-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]dude, i think this is a joke.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:12 PM

I don't think you're winning this pot 40% of the time. I think a fold is correct. If you raise, it is still only 1 bet for each of them to call, and someone is sitting with an A or K. I am folding here almost every time.

ChewyMint
Old 07-16-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]dude, i think this is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i can't detect jokes on forums ... im a sucker for the trolls.

-Barron
Old 07-16-2005, 06:23 PM

It was butchered everywhere. You should have been gone on the turn. I dont understand on the raise there. Also, on the river the correct play was to fold. There was 0 chance with three people in the pot that your 6 with no kicker was good.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I butchered this hand, but where did I go wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
solid player 1 (SP1) open raises UTG. Tricky player re-raises (TP) and I call on the button with 6 7

[/ QUOTE ]

lf
Old 07-17-2005, 12:15 AM

Default more comments

they were suited, and no I probably wasn't winning AT THE TIME, but I put them both on AK. I put the small blind on a K and the Big blind on a weak A. I figure, add in my flush outs, and I should be fine. The question wasn't about the preflop play. Read the title.

by the way, when the turn came, my read of AK turned to a JQ for both. It was too unlikely for them to catch the A. The river K cemented my read.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they were suited, and no I probably wasn't winning AT THE TIME, but I put them both on AK. I put the small blind on a K and the Big blind on a weak A. I figure, add in my flush outs, and I should be fine. The question wasn't about the preflop play. Read the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

your preflop play still leaves a lot to be desired. and you way overplayed the turn and river