Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 07:29 PM

Default 80/160 GAME AT BELLAGIO

In the first week of April, I made first trip out to Vegas to play some poker at the Bellagio. I had a fun weekend, that ended with about 15 hours of poker play.
On the 3rd and final night of my trip I was able to get back into the 80 game after playing in it for about 10 hours the previous 2 days.
Half and hour into the game, which was filled with a fair mix of local pro's, and several tourists, I was seated in the 5 seat and welcomed the new arrival.
I was up about 1200 and waiting for my next big hand when it came up.
A new player, sat in seat 1 with 5k...he was a tourny pro who was waiting to get into the 2k-4k mixed game.
I sat figuring to get caught up in a hand with him and make some money that he would be willing to part with out of enjoyment for the game...I don't think this limit makes him feel anything for it but time passage.

Here it is
Pro raises BB+2 folds to me and I 3 Bet with QsQc, everyone folds back to pro, who calls.
Flop: Qh Jh 5s
Pro Bets, I raise, he calls.
Turn: 3d
Pro checks I bet, pro check raises, I 3bet, pro 4bets, I 5 bet, pro 6, I 7, pro 8, I 9, pro calls.

At this point, I know exactly what hand he has, and I am in a awesome position...this is the pot of the night, and I have the nuts.
River: 6h
Pro checks, I bet, Pro check raises!!!!!

I sit for about a minute thinking about 3 betting knowing what his hand is and figuring he is possibly a lot weaker than that. I end up just calling.

What would you guys have done???

answers later [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: 80/160 GAME AT BELLAGIO

That was some real turn action there. He surely was putting
his money in on a strong flopped four flush.
Only two hands beat you, a no-way 7 4, and a any two hearts.
I think it's strange though.....with a flopped 4 flush why not re-raise it on the flop instead of just calling your raise. Then he goes chip nuts on a complete turn blank.
But......with the river a heart.....he check raises you,
which takes me back to his flopped 4 flush.

Hope you won the huge pot!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you guys have done???

[/ QUOTE ]

5-bet and call a 6-bet. Besides JJ, the only other hands I could see him having here are A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Edit: you know what? As soon as I hit the submit button, I realized I was wrong. The opponent knows that you have QQ, and he still checkraised the river. I would just call.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:15 PM

T9s should have been more agro on the flop instead of the turn.

JJ should have put you on queens after you went crazy on the turn.

I'd just call on the end. Regardless of what he had he made a big mistake on the turn dont make up for it by overplaying on the end.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 PM

Default About schmidts31

I make it a rule that whenever I 9-bet the turn and I don't have the nuts on the river, and I'm check-raised by the 8-bettor, I just call. I figure he must know that I had the nuts on the turn. Or he just doesn't care. And since I don't know which, I just call.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:10 PM

Yep, and let's put 5000 out there on a single blackjack hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think he has 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I would be on tilt bigtime after this hand.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:55 PM

Either T9h or KT. T9 is morelikely to raise with in MP. AK is not likely because it doesn't have the extra straight outs.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:57 PM

I put in a 3rd bet and call a 4 bet.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 PM

K 10 or 9 10 of hearts is possible but IMO more likely JJ.

But if he has the draw he is either a moron or doing REALLY well to play with $160 bets like that.

That being said....the way he played his hand on the turn indicates he is not playing logically. That 5th bet by you indicates the nuts and he should just be calling. So I would throw in a reraise on the river and just call when he comes back over the top.

I just don't see how you can give an idiot this much respect on the end by just calling.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: About schmidts31

Andy if you don't know what he has and know he's playing strangely wouldn't you think it's +EV to throw in at least 1 reraise here?

After all...the guy is playing out of his mind and you have a monster hand. I mean he SHOULD have known you had QQ by the 7th bet on the turn at least and yet put in the 8th.