Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 08:51 AM

Default easy does it

Three players limped (L1, L2, L3). I was on the button with JJ. I raised, the blinds folded, and the limpers called. The pot was four-handed with me last.

The flop was 10-8-8 twotone. L1 checked, L2 checked, and L3 bet. I put L3 on a ten, an eight, or a draw. I called, L1 folded, and L2 called. Three players.

The turn was a five. L2 checked and L3 bet. I put L3 on a ten or an eight. I called, and L2 called. I put L2 on a draw. Still three of us.

The river was a queen. L2 checked, so I put him on a miss. L3 checked, so I put him on a ten. I bet, L2 folded, and L3 called.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: easy does it

I think you have to find a flop or safe turn raise here. I've been reading most of your posts; do you ever pop a flop or turn raise in? It doesn't seem as though you do. IMO you need to protect your hand from KJ, A9 or whatever gross peel L1 and L2 may make. Also, in most games I play in the bet out means a T or underpair, an 8 would likely go for a checkraise at some point.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 AM

I wouldn't like it so much if it was 10-7-7, or 10-9-9 but here you are either pretty far ahead or really far behind. Plus it might strike the fear of TA into these people.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:02 AM

"The turn was a five. L2 checked and L3 bet. I put L3 on a ten or an eight. I called, and L2 called. I put L2 on a draw. Still three of us."

If you put him on a ten or an eight then not raising here at the very least was awful since you can fold to a threebet and would either give yourself a lot more safe cards on the river when L2 folds or charge him an extra bet to draw. Plus you're getting called on the river by a T anyways. You earned a lot less than you should have here.

-Michael
Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 AM

Two bad things can happen if you raise the turn:

(1) L3 folds his 10 rather than paying you off on the river

(2) L3 three bets with less than trips and you decide to fold. There is no way I'd fold to a three bet here, so I think calling is the right approach.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 AM

Another advantage to just calling is that it may induce bluffs.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM

IMO you need to protect your hand from KJ, A9
I don't think you want to protect your hand against someone drawing to 3 outs. If they want to call, that's fine.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:06 PM

You're not afraid of overs hitting?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Another terrible play.

Not raising the flop, thereby giving the folks with overcards the right odds to call and catch, is poor poker. Nothing unusual. Just consistent poor advice and weak play.

Nice to see that there are those out there who are intentionally giving poor advice, keeping down the overall level of talent. Much appreciated.

TSP
Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Yep, it will induce bluffs.

Like, when a K hits on the turn, and one of the early fellows, who would have folded to two cold on the flop, bets into you. Congratulations on inducing this nice bluff. If it were me that bet when the K came, please go ahead and call my bluff.

c'mon, guys, this is Romper Room stuff. I think that 2+2 is supposed to demonstrate a slightly higher level of poker prowess.

TSP