Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Help! Ugly play...Party 1/2

Did I do anything right postflop? I thought for a really long time before calling the river, is that a must-call?

Thanks in advance,
DeathDonkey

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises, SB calls, MP1 3-bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises, SB calls, MP1 3-bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (22.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 bets, MP2 raises, Hero calls, SB folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 28.50 BB
Old 08-25-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Help! Ugly play...Party 1/2

I think I play this exactly the same. The river is a must-call.

When MP1 3-bets the turn, that's when I start to believe he either has a set or is a maniac. I call the river because there's probably a 50% chance he's a maniac.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't notice that it was 2 cold to you on the river, with MP2 waking up. This changes things. Tough decision.

If I fold a winner here, I'm going to be pretty pissed, so I probably call. Although I suspect MP2 has both of you beat with something ridiculous.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:35 PM

I'd fold after the flop. People pay off my made hands so well in the microlimits that I usually don't bother chasing with two overcards.

Turn raise works for me.

River is definitely a call, and I'd raise it. Maybe somebody has made a straight, but I'm still going to raise with top two pair here.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 PM

I'd fold after the flop. People pay off my made hands so well in the microlimits that I usually don't bother chasing with two overcards.

Two overcards, a backdoor flush, and a backdoor str8 with position is not a hand you should be folding.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:52 PM

Yah, this is a weakness of mine, still playing too weak/tight on some hands. I'm looking forward to getting pokertracker licensed, so I can load the next 1000 hands and get a better idea of where I'm at.

So if fold isn't a good option here, do you like the raise instead?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:55 PM

do you like the raise instead

Yes, hopefully you will be able to take a free card on the turn if you don't hit.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:56 PM

Yeah the river is one of those cards that makes you call eventhough it probably didn't help. Anyone have a set?

-Sent
Old 08-25-2004, 01:30 PM

Preflop is fine. Staying in on the flop is fine. Raising for a free card on the flop with overcards and two backdoor draws is something I hardly ever do, but given your position, SSH will tell you that there is a good chance you can buy a free card with a raise, so I don't have a problem with it, although MP1 betting into a preflop raiser out of position provides at least some evidence that he likes his hand in spite of your preflop aggression.

I have a problem with the turn raise. Once MP1 3-bets the flop and leads again on the turn, it sure looks like he made a set on the flop. What's wrong with calling his turn bet and seeing if you improve on the river?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:10 PM

I was thinking set too, he showed too much strenght. The pot odds are a little marginal too for me on the flop.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:38 PM

Any 2 will do and the flop play of MP1 looks as much like K9 or 79 as a set. In this spot I may slow a little on the turn but I'm in for the showdown with TTP.

I think MP2 made Queens up and depending on my read of the other players I may reraise the river.