Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Hand from LOP tourney

I just played this hand yesterday in one of the Legends of Poker events at the Bike. The event was the $500 Pot Limit event.

One of the well known pros was at the table, and after we both busted, we talked about this hand. Before I mention his comments here's the hand:

Blinds are 50/100.
I'm in the BB with A8o. Its folded to the button who limps, the SB completes, I check. Being pot-limit I can't bet enough to make these guys lay down much of the time, so I'd rather see a cheap flop here.

Flop is A 2 4 Rainbow.

I'm ready to bet the flop when the small blind throws out a healthy bet of 450.

My instincts tell me he's betting 2 pair or a set here and my ace is no good.

I think what hands he'd bet here and I think he had to have a nice hand to make this bet, but not the straight. First, I don't think he'd complete with 35. Second, he wouldn't bet it to try to trap someone. He is not an aggressive player.

I have to put him on 2 pair, probably A2 or A4

So I fold and the button throws out a big raise, they both go all in and both show A2 for a chopped pot.

Of course, the river was an 8 which would have made me the winner.

I mentioned at the table after the hand that I folded A8o, hence the later dialogue with the Pro.

I think I made a good laydown when I was way behind and layed down a hand with essentially 3 outs (unless the board makes a running pair or the 4 pairs).

Any comments?

-Scott
Old 08-23-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Hand from LOP tourney

1) How did he bet 450 at a 300 pot at pot limit?

2) Your post is missing stack sizes. That has a pretty big effect here.

Independent of those thing, I think it is a good fold, and the reason is you went with your gut. Warning bells went off. Some might say it was a weak/tight fold, but if your gut is saying you are beat, and your gut is usually right, go with it. I've stayed alive more than a few times on hands I really should have gone broke on due to my gut.
You should see from this your gut is right.

I'm interested in who the pro is.

SD
Old 08-23-2004, 05:34 PM

I messed up the blinds. they were 100-200.

So he bet 450 into a 600 pot.

I don't remember stacks exactly but SB was short with around 3K. I had him covered with about 4.5K and Button covered us both.

-Scott
Old 08-23-2004, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a good fold, and the reason is you went with your gut. Warning bells went off.

[/ QUOTE ]I also agree it was a good fold, but it really seems this was more than "gut". I see gut as more intuition or non-conscious decision making, while this was based on your very sound observation of the player and understanding how he would play certain hands. And that analysis was spot on, namely, that you were dead to three outs (unless you're toking yourself, but that's another issue ;-).
Old 08-23-2004, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a good fold, and the reason is you went with your gut. Warning bells went off.

[/ QUOTE ]I also agree it was a good fold, but it really seems this was more than "gut". I see gut as more intuition or non-conscious decision making, while this was based on your very sound observation of the player and understanding how he would play certain hands. And that analysis was spot on, namely, that you were dead to three outs (unless you're toking yourself, but that's another issue ;-).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

I was really just suprised that a very well known pro called my fold weak-tight.

-Scott
Old 08-23-2004, 09:33 PM

I 100% agree with how you define gut.
Your sub-conscious can often do the analysis quicker than you can do the analysis to convince yourself.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:34 PM

With the SBs stack size, I am definitely raising there.
That 600 raise would be a large portion of his stack.
If the stacks were deep, I would agree with the call.

And are you going to tell us who the pro was and more on what he said?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I 100% agree with how you define gut.
Your sub-conscious can often do the analysis quicker than you can do the analysis to convince yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. in your earlier post above it seemed you prefer raising, yet here you seem OK with my fold.

Which is it?

-Scott
Old 08-24-2004, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With the SBs stack size, I am definitely raising there.
That 600 raise would be a large portion of his stack.
If the stacks were deep, I would agree with the call.

And are you going to tell us who the pro was and more on what he said?

[/ QUOTE ]

His read was that the SB probably had a weak ace and a gutshot to the straight. He felt I should play my A8o and play it strongly.

I told him I put him on 2 pair and that I felt I was behind. The cards proved me right.

The Pro was Men the Master. A very nice guy I. I played with him at my table in two tournies. I enjoyed playing with him. Much more so than playing with Amir Vahedi (total action, mouthy), and Hasan Habib who didn't say a single word.

-Scott
Old 08-24-2004, 01:30 AM

In my earlier I said I think you should have raised preflop.
My comment here was in regard to your play postflop. I agree with your fold postflop, based upon your read/gut.

Did Men tell you which part of it was weak/tight?

I've played with him once, and did enjoy it. It was early in my career, I was not too excited when I drew him at my first table of my of my first $200 Limit tourneys (which I no longer play). I also had Dan Alspach, who is having a great year (final table at that 6 person max per table event, plus others).

My only real conversation with him was when I reraised somebody after having barely played a hand. After winning on the turn (he wasn't in the hand) he said AA, KK or QQ, trying to impress with his reading skills.
I showed the KK and said "I've hardly played a hand, how many hands could it be?" He nodded in agreement.
He won the tourney and dominated at the bubble portion. I enjoyed playing with him too. He actually didn't get mad when I made a big suckout on him when forced to go in in the blinds.

Are you playing the $5,000 or any of the supersats? I plan on playing the 3:15 on Wednesday.

SD