Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 01:03 PM

Default $55s Hand Problem

Background: Hero began tourney conveniently looking like a maniac without taking any chances, but for the last 14-17 hands has played tight, making very few steal chances (lots of 8-4o), even on the bubble. When in hands, Hero has played aggressively, especially in position.

SB appears to be a smart, observant, patient, somewhat aggressive player. Even when Hero was playing loose, SB was able to lay down hands. SB has successfully played more aggressively from 5 players to current bubble, but still willing to fold.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 converter

Button (t2400)
SB (t4940)
Hero (t3320)
UTG (t2840)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero raises to t600</font>, SB calls t300.

Flop: (t80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, SB calls t600.

Turn: (t80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero does what?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: $55s Hand Problem

Hero pushes preflop and it is not close whatsoever. Your min raise sucked. Sorry.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero pushes preflop and it is not close whatsoever. Your min raise sucked. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least a real raise, if you actually like playing post-flop. (I'm pushing, but you have enough of a stack that you don't absolutely have to.) Make it 1000, minimum.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Push preflop. Your beat by an 8 or a 2, he couldnt resist the pot odds u gave him with your min raise.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero pushes preflop and it is not close whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the minraise stinks, but I don't think checking is bad at all (with the intention of taking the pot postflop). I see a lot of big stacks look people up here just because they don't like to be bullied.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:26 PM

I do appreciate the comments, but does anyone have comments on how to play the turn here, even assuming I misplayed pre-flop?

As to the comments: sure, I could push pre-flop, and I might have from the SB, and would 20-25% from the BB, but I don't mind playing a very good hand, in position, even on the bubble. The raise was small, but I like to vary the raise and raise only 2x BB or call about 20-25% of the time to disguise the hand. I think that with a small raise or check, when an Ace comes on the flop, opponents often won't think you have an Ace and will pay you off. With A-Q, my only real worries are 2 pair -- admittedly more likely with a small raise --, A-K, or a set. A-K or a set are much less likely than usual considering the small field and his pre-flop play.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:32 PM

I don't like the min raise preflop, so I think you should have made it 900 (3 times the big blind) preflop because min raises can make it harder to play your hand the rest of the hand. I like betting out on the flop to see if you can pick it up and as a continuation bet. But considering the way you played it all the way through on the turn I would probably go all in as a semi-bluff because it would be a tough decision for SB to make with lots of hands.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with him and I don't think this play postflop argument is a valid one at all. You hit 1/3 times, exploit the hand now while you're strong. I think it's a big mistake not to push. You have yet to tell us SB's action on the turn. I fold to a bet, and check behind. I re-evaluate on the river. I'm more scared of any pp than a 2 or 8.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You hit 1/3 times, exploit the hand now while you're strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I forgot that you can't bet when you don't hit. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it 1000, minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say maximum 1000. Raise &lt; 1000 or push.