Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Free Card Plays

What is the general consensus here on free card plays? Should we be trying for free cards very often in online games? An example below from today...

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

River: (8 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17 BB, between SB, Hero and UTG+1.</font>
Old 08-16-2004, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Free Card Plays

Yes, I like the check on the turn.

I like to make that play in limit, and I almost play it like Doyle in NL in some games.

I wouldn't have played it differently, but I would like to know what some other experienced players would say about this play.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:56 PM

Is there a possibility that you might have the best hand on the turn?

I would have bet it
Old 08-16-2004, 08:59 PM

Hard to make that raise, you don't want everyone to fold behind you and you don't know if people will still check the turn after you show weakness there.

-Sent
Old 08-16-2004, 09:09 PM

You mean my raise on the flop, right? The pot is large, why wouldn't I want people to fold? Have you read SSH? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, if someone bet after me on the turn, a call would be fine, so it wouldn't have mattered much (although I may have had the best hand at that point with middle pair top kicker).
Old 08-16-2004, 09:43 PM

I would only raise the flop if I knew everyone would call. I would go for the overcall here and keep people in. But your reference to SSH and large pots is a good point, your raise forces everyone behind you to cold-call.

However, your turn check doesn't protect your hand as much as your flop raise. You need to bet here for the same reason you raised the flop: THE POT IS BIG!
In fact, it is much bigger than it was on the flop. While the six isn't a heart, pairing your six gives you more outs and is a scare card as it makes a st8 possible. I would think a bet here would do more to protect your hand than the flop raise.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:46 PM

If everyone folds, I'm happy! I don't even have a hand yet.

If everyone calls, I'm happy! I've got a 1 - 3 chance to hit my flush by the river, not to mention I probably clean up my Ace outs by raising here.

T
Old 08-16-2004, 09:54 PM

Another thing I just thought of is you don't have position to make a free card play. Also, see pg 174 of SSH for a good example of betting the turn instead of taking the free card. Is this case, the board pairs but I think you pairing you six is still a good time to bet the turn.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:57 PM

I don't think flop is at all big enough to justify raising with a draw out of position. You will earn more with your draws if you flat call here I think.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:59 PM

Well since you know for sure everyone wont fold, would it not be wiser to let them stay in to build a big, multiway pot for your draw?