Old 06-16-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: What about THE GIFT?

20, why?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Batman Begins

sweet [censored] movie
Old 06-16-2005, 04:29 AM

all comic movies ive ever seen were unwatchable. absolutely horible, and i am sure this movie will follow in order.

[ QUOTE ]
Just got back from seeing Batman Begins. This movie was awesome, by far and I mean by far the best Batman movie ever. The movie stayed very close to the feel of The Dark Knight comics. This was one of the best movies I have seen in quite some time and probably the best comic book movie.

I really hope the writer and director continue the saga.

Fans of Batman, see this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-16-2005, 04:41 AM

Saw this movie tonight and loved it. Anyone else see a lot of philosophy in there? Some Nietzsche perhaps? Probably other guys too that I haven't read yet...
Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 AM

Saw this tonight and thought it sucked in pretty much every way imaginable. I will preface this by stating that I have never read any comic book in my life, and my only knowledge of Batman comes from the 5 previous films, and the campy 60's TV show.

The action sequences were cluttery, dark, and difficult to follow. Most of the shots had twelve guys fighting in a close zoom, and it was unclear which was actually Batman or what he was doing to win the fight.

The writing was terribly weak. Two moments that especially stood out: 1. Alfred expanding on the ridiculously overdone Wayne family legacy, explaining how they actually were conductors on the underground railroad (despite the fact that Gotham is mentioned as being on an island...why would the underground railroad briefly leave the mainland?) in addition to their other numerous charitable works. 2. When Batman and Gary Oldman meet toward the end of the film, and explain to each other very clearly and elaborately what exactly is happening, so that the audience understands what is going on and doesn't realize that this plot is needlessly confusing and elaborate.

The villians suck; a pseudo terrorist and the Scarecrow, who as far as I can tell is the 8th best Batman villian and who doesn't seem to have any special abilities.

When did Batman become schooled in the ways of Ninjas/Samauris? Why? There was a lot of East-Asian culture/philosophy erraticly interjected throughout the film, with no coherent themes.

The whole Batman borrowing/stealing/buying his equipment thing didn't work for me. What made Batman cool was the impression that he spent all of his free time developing these crazy gadgets; here he does nothing special for his equipment.

The ending of this movie sucked hardcore balls. Why would they tie it to the first Burton movie, when everything about it was different, especially the death of Wayne's parents? Are they trying to remind me how awesome Jack Nicholson was as the actual murderer of Wayne's parents, even though he really didn't? Or are they actually going to hire another actor in a future film to butcher the Joker?

I suppose what bothered me most was inferiority. Michael Keaton was simply fantastic in his two films. People overlook this. Bale is an excellent actor, but I preferred Keaton (I think Bale's "Batman" husky voice was a tadd overdone and irritating). The action sequences ruined this film for me, with Tim Burton doing a much better job showing what Batman was actually fighting and how. The Elfman score, accompanied by the Prince originals, was awesome in Burton's first film, and pisses all over the score of this film. Nicholson, DeVito, and Walken were all brilliant compared to the scrubs in this movie. Was I supposed to fear the maniacal capabilities of the Scarecrowe? To me, he was just a tweaker with a hose up his sleeve.

I apologize for the length of this, but this film really bothered me. People were actually clapping at the end of it and I just couldn't believe my ears.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The action sequences were cluttery, dark, and difficult to follow. Most of the shots had twelve guys fighting in a close zoom, and it was unclear which was actually Batman or what he was doing to win the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
(I think Bale's "Batman" husky voice was a tadd overdone and irritating).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are they trying to remind me how awesome Jack Nicholson was as the actual murderer of Wayne's parents, even though he really didn't? Or are they actually going to hire another actor in a future film to butcher the Joker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this movie correctly identifies the killer of Wayne's parents. It has changed a lot over the years, but it's traditionally been JOe Chill, not the Joker as in Burton's film.

This movie was awesome, except for the part where Christian Bale talked in a raspy voice as Batman. That was dumb.

-AA
Old 06-19-2005, 03:21 PM

Great movie. I'm not aure why anyone was bothered by Batman's voice. I didn't even notice that. My only negative would be the fight choreography. The director seemed to not really know how to choreograph a fight scene so instead he just made everything move really fast from a zillion angles so you couldn't really see anything.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:29 PM

I liked this movie a lot. My only problem was that there wasn't really a cool villian like in the other films. Overall, I liked the darkness of the film. It seemed less cartoony then the previous films. I also thought Caine and Freeman were great in the film. Bale was a great Batman as well. I think he was better than Keaton, but only by a hair. I hope they make some more films with this director and ensemble cast. Although, Katie Holms sorta sucked in the film. She was basically a cute face. Also, I saw nipples sticking through a shirt.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:46 PM

It was hard to buy her as someone who had graduated from law school and had already become an ADA. Other than her i also thought the movie was great.