Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Flop play with KJs

UTG+1 is a LAG. His bet on the flop means he has a Q, an A, possibly a 2, or a draw. I have a gutshot and a backdoor flush draw. I hate spots like this and don't really know what to do when this happens. What's your play here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="blue">Hero...</font>
Old 12-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Flop play with KJs

You've got around 5 outs and you're getting 9:1 from the pot. If UTG+1 doesn't have an ace, it's likely somebody else does. I'm more interested in your reads on SB and BB, actually...is one of them going for a c/r with an ace?

Default play, call and call one back to you if c/r'd, then reevaluate on the turn. If it's raised and 3-bet back to you, let it go.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:41 PM

Call. Fold turn UI.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:49 PM

I don't have many hands on SB, but he's a total fish. I haven't seen him check/raise. I'd expect him to bet with an A. He'll call down with anything.

BB is tight but not very good. I've seen him check/raise once in 100 hands. He may be capable of it.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have many hands on SB, but he's a total fish. I haven't seen him check/raise. I'd expect him to bet with an A. He'll call down with anything.

BB is tight but not very good. I've seen him check/raise once in 100 hands. He may be capable of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Pot's right. Call.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:18 PM

I'm calling here with backdoor flush and straight draw.

Calling one more if its back to me
- if it was worth 1 to call then it will still be worth 1more to call

Folding to 3bet
- Getting to call 2 cold is no longer a good draw because you are probably way behind and don't have as many outs as you originally thought
Old 12-21-2005, 12:09 AM

(Newbie grunch)
This is a big pot (raised and 4-handed pre-flop), so I would probably raise for two reasons. 1) I want to fold out the sb and bb, and 2) I would like a bit more info from Mr. LAG. If he has a Q, a 2, or a draw, I would like to be able to spike my K or J to win, and folding the blinds would help this, IMO. If he has an A, we have 4.5 outs to beat him, and our bdf is to the nuts. I would assume that this could also count as a semi-bluff, although LAGGy prob won't fold. If he 3-bets, I would prob call and fold the turn UI.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:42 AM

1.5 outs for the flush draw, 4 outs for the straight draw, gives you about 5 outs to be conservative. Your getting 9 to 1 on the flop so your call will be profitable.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(Newbie grunch)
This is a big pot (raised and 4-handed pre-flop), so I would probably raise for two reasons. 1) I want to fold out the sb and bb, and 2) I would like a bit more info from Mr. LAG. If he has a Q, a 2, or a draw, I would like to be able to spike my K or J to win, and folding the blinds would help this, IMO. If he has an A, we have 4.5 outs to beat him, and our bdf is to the nuts. I would assume that this could also count as a semi-bluff, although LAGGy prob won't fold. If he 3-bets, I would prob call and fold the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might force them out and win a small pot heads up against the lag if your K or J comes (jacks probably risky). However, the real money of this hand is going to occur if you hit the straight or back door flush. In that case you want as many people in the pot as possible for the reverse implied odds.

Either way if you hit your K or J anyone who is still in the hand is probably drawing to a straight also. You are not going to be able to finish the hand strong if your pair hits so you might as well hope for the big draw to come in with many people contributing.

I'm saving my money to see where this one goes. Your hand is not strong and I'd really like to see another card cheaply. For me, I'm almost looking for an excuse to get out of this hand. Its just long term trouble in my eyes.

Keep in mind Laggy's are laggy for a reason. They like to bet and they like to raise. You don't wont to be three bet on this flop.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 AM

call the flop and fold turn UI