Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:38 PM

Default *Official* Boat or Better Thread

Ok, so you just picked up a monster hand (whether on flop, turn, or river), and you're looking to extract the max. Whether you flopped the Eegahs (quad 9's) or rivered your BD royal, these hands can be a little intimidating. Everybody is excited to finally have the stone cold nuts and they're looking to get paid.

What you need to consider is that micro players tend to suck. Generally the best line is to bet and raise like hell. People will call. They like to. Let them. You never know when somebody wants to go to war with you with a worse hand. Yes, occasionally, you will bet/raise and everyone will fold. You will win a tiny pot. When that happens, shrug and move on. If even the calling stations won't call you, there wasn't any more value to extract from the hand. Big hands will sometimes equal tiny pots...because you will have every card worth having. Against typical micro opponents, you will still usually win much more playing hard and fast.

I'd say the only potential exceptions to this are when you are HU, or will force everybody to call multiple bets on a drawless board.
So, if you have a hand with a boat or better and would like to discuss it, please post it in this thread, and it will receive the appropriate attention.
Strategy posts only please. If you want to brag, check out this forum.

*Some boats are especially interesting and should get their own thread. If you are unsure whether yours is interesting or not, then it's not. Trust me. Post it here and somebody will take a look at it.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: *Official* Quads or Better Thread

can we make it boat or better?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:54 PM

An interesting idea. I guess we can consider this the replacement for the NC thread now that another forum cornered the market. I'm not sure if it'll take off. I guess we'll see.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An interesting idea. I guess we can consider this the replacement for the NC thread now that another forum cornered the market. I'm not sure if it'll take off. I guess we'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want this to become a NC thread. At worst it will be LC. If I see bad beat posts or brag posts in this thread there may be violence.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: *Official* Boat or Better Thread

Why not extend this idea and have threads for like common situations you see posted alot

"Overpair to the board"
"TPTK on a co-ordinated board"
"QQ/KK and an ace flops, etc."

or would that just get too cumbersome?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can we make it boat or better?

[/ QUOTE ]

what about the times bottomset doesn't fill up can they go in here too?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: *Official* Boat or Better Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Why not extend this idea and have threads for like common situations you see posted alot

"Overpair to the board"
"TPTK on a co-ordinated board"
"QQ/KK and an ace flops, etc."

or would that just get too cumbersome?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that those situations are a little more unique. Pot size and reads become more important, as does the number of opponents. Also, it would kill potentially beneficial discussion.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:03 PM

I worded that poorly. I mean that with one forum taking all the junk (although it seems to have become Beats, Brags, and Trolls), we can have 100% strategy here. This thread "takes its place" as a designated spot for whatever has the lowest level of acceptable content for this forum - now medium content.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM

I dislike this being a Boat or Better thread. Boat threads can have merits, since there is often a place one should slow down before boating up on the river, bottom boats on scary boards versus a PFR, and are also a lot more common. Adding boats to this thread will make any real advice be really confusing due to the number of posts.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike this being a Boat or Better thread. Boat threads can have merits, since there is often a place one should slow down before boating up on the river, bottom boats on scary boards versus a PFR, and are also a lot more common. Adding boats to this thread will make any real advice be really confusing due to the number of posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my edit at the bottom of OP. Does that suit you?