Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

[ QUOTE ]
cool on your wild deductive abilities, holmes! How did you know I was talking about the nutrition and not about the absurd idea of living forever using current or near-future techniques? I sure didn't!

Enjoy your pine nuts or sand or whatever, if you're pressing the nutrition angle.

But you do realise, you won't live forever? It'll just seem like it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read what I wrote? The vast majority of the book is about nutrition.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 AM

It sounds like an interesting read, though from you exert it appears to have major flaws.
"We’ve basically doubled the expectation in the past hundred years."

We have doubled the average life expectancy, but we havn't come close to doubling the LONGEST an indivicual can live. There are accounts of Romans living into their 80's and 90's, while the oldest living person on record is around 116 (i thin). We haven't really made the "exponential" progress in the longest that an individual can live that is nessecary to be able to epect a person to live past 120 yrs. This sounds like a manipulation of figures to sell books, especially when you look at the reasons for the increase in life expectancy over the past 100 years.
1. Obstectrics- women not dying in childbirth, and children not dying during childbirth.
2. Vaccinations keeping young children alive- traditionally along with the old, the most vulnerable to infectious disiese.
As a male once you got past a certain age (arounnd 20) you average life expectancy was over 60 100 years ago (this was in england around 1900, don't have the specific figures with me, but i might be able to find the old text book they were in). The majority of technology in this area has allowed children to grow up into adults more often, something that is much moreeaily achievable than alling adults to slow down the ageing process.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Living past 120 years by just changing your diet *is* absurd. Living longer in general obviously isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you got the number 120 from, but adding 20 years to your lifespan by living a healthier life is most certainly not absurd.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:23 AM

To quote the great Freddy Mercury...

"Who wants to live forever?"

Esp. if all of your family/friends don't.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cool on your wild deductive abilities, holmes! How did you know I was talking about the nutrition and not about the absurd idea of living forever using current or near-future techniques? I sure didn't!

Enjoy your pine nuts or sand or whatever, if you're pressing the nutrition angle.

But you do realise, you won't live forever? It'll just seem like it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read what I wrote? The vast majority of the book is about nutrition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I didn't. Once you mentioned the book as you it seemed a waste of the 4th dimension. My point initially was the book's 'bridges' bs factor.

Anyway, the live forever thing... good luck with that [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 AM

The way I see it, I'd be happy just living through this life and dying before the planet explodes or gets super hot or whatever the hell crazy crap is going to happen.

Just make this life worthwhile.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The way I see it, I'd be happy just living through this life and dying before the planet explodes or gets super hot or whatever the hell crazy crap is going to happen.

Just make this life worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]
First prize! Give her a cigar!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Living past 120 years by just changing your diet *is* absurd. Living longer in general obviously isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you got the number 120 from, but adding 20 years to your lifespan by living a healthier life is most certainly not absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

That I would agree with. Yeah, I know, someone will post about their 90 year old grandfather who drank every day and smoked 2 packs of Chesterfields, but that is not the norm. The big problem is not just diet, but stress, and environment/water. These are things that we don't know the long term effects over yet.

But, by eating healthy you increase your chances of living longer. I don't even think that is debatable. But, there are a lot outside factors that are beyond our control. I also don't think "quantity" of life is the most important area to look at as well. By eating healthier, you will probably have a better quality life physically and mentally.

craig
Old 12-01-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like an interesting read, though from you exert it appears to have major flaws.
"We’ve basically doubled the expectation in the past hundred years."

We have doubled the average life expectancy, but we havn't come close to doubling the LONGEST an indivicual can live. There are accounts of Romans living into their 80's and 90's, while the oldest living person on record is around 116 (i thin). We haven't really made the "exponential" progress in the longest that an individual can live that is nessecary to be able to epect a person to live past 120 yrs. This sounds like a manipulation of figures to sell books, especially when you look at the reasons for the increase in life expectancy over the past 100 years.
1. Obstectrics- women not dying in childbirth, and children not dying during childbirth.
2. Vaccinations keeping young children alive- traditionally along with the old, the most vulnerable to infectious disiese.
As a male once you got past a certain age (arounnd 20) you average life expectancy was over 60 100 years ago (this was in england around 1900, don't have the specific figures with me, but i might be able to find the old text book they were in). The majority of technology in this area has allowed children to grow up into adults more often, something that is much moreeaily achievable than alling adults to slow down the ageing process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. However, with the scientific progress we're making, I'm sure we'll be able to get that up quite a bit. I think the past has mainly dealt with giving more people a long life expectancy, where as we're finally getting to the stage where we can push the max life expectancy higher.

I'd be very surprised if the healthy people of my generation don't live to see 2100, and it wouldn't surprise me if we crack 200 years old.

But none of this really matters unless they can slow the aging process. What the use of living so long if you don't have the body to enjoy it??
Old 12-01-2005, 10:45 AM

I think this brings up an interesting question:

Let imagine that life expectancy has jumped up to something that we would consider astronomical (300-800 years or something).

Now, would this make dying young more tragic? Would it change the risks you might take? For some reason I feel like dying at 18 or 25 is infinetly more dumb if your lifespan is 300+ rather than 80.