Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-15-2005, 04:39 AM

Default What content should be censored from the politics forum?

While I have no interest in discussing pedophilia a whole lot, I am surprised that the thread on the topic was locked for content reasons (as opposed to personal attacks or something like that). Moral issues are political issues if any laws are passed about them, or even if they affect an election campaign. The morality of pedophilia clearly qualifies on both counts.

So, I'm curious, do you agree?

What type of content do you think should be prohibited from discussion in this forum?

What makes something a political issue worthy of discussion or not?

Is the politics forum a place where one should expect a more free and open tolerance of opinion and heated disagreement based on the very nature of the forum's topic?

This was my reply in the OOT thread concerning the locking of the politics thread.

This is the locked thread.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Get with the program

[ QUOTE ]
What type of content do you think should be prohibited from discussion in this forum?

[/ QUOTE ]
"Personal help" questions, such as "What should I do now that my GF dumped me", should be disqualified and re-directed towards OOT. Poker-related (but purely poker-related) issues, as well.

Probability, mathematics, religion, philosophy, and science, should be confined to the appropriate pages, in general. But osmosis between the SMP and Politics pages should be allowed, because a lot of philosophical/scientific issues can be political, as well.

Apart from all that, everything goes.

Paedophilia would be an excellent subject for discussion, btw, either in SMP or here, if the context is right. It's up to the bartenders (sorry, the moderators!) to make the call.

[ QUOTE ]
What makes something a political issue worthy of discussion or not?

[/ QUOTE ]
The level of responses usually indicates the level of interest for a discussion.

But some posts that start a thread get a lot of viewings but few responses. Lack of responses does not necessarily mean that the post is not appropriate for this page.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the politics forum a place where one should expect a more free and open tolerance of opinion and heated disagreement based on the very nature of the forum's topic?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

Cursing and flame-throwing are part of the scene.

Here is even a rule I propose for this page : Any poster who goes a month without using a censorable word in the Politics Page is prohibited from posting there for the next month!

Get with the program, fellas.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Re: What content should be censored from the politics forum?

[ QUOTE ]
While I have no interest in discussing pedophilia a whole lot

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The morality of pedophilia clearly qualifies on both counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is the only subject you mention regarding being off-limits, then your first quote doesn't ring true. And while discussing consensual sex between an adult and a 15 year old isn't in the same league as those who abuse young children, it still is discussing illegal activity with underage children/adolescents and shouldn't be tolerated. And it's not just a matter of legisaltion. And morality does matter, especially regarding children.

Grow up and seek a mature relationship with someone who is emotionally mature which a 15 year old girl isn't. And don't whine about just 1 taboo topic which is not indicative of a wider range of such topics.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:51 AM

RE-POSTING OF PARTISAN PROPAGANDA PEICES- esp those that are already published/posted everywhere else. (except those that are satire, etc...)

well... for that matter, news and information that any reasonably informed persod would be aware of should be locked... unless the poster makes an effort to initiate a discussion.

Also, Dr. Wogga's posts should be insta-locked... as well as any other posts that are patently, obviously racist/mean-spirited... no more "Bush and Skull and Bones secretly run the world" "all libs are pot smoking, terrorist-coddling, commies" crap... or, for that matter, posts that attack the lunatic fringe of either ideology and try to implicate the mainstream by association... repubs are not all clan members, dems are not all members of the ELF...

i could go on for days... really.

BOTTOM LINE:

Posts that are not conductive to productive discussion should be locked. I learn a lot from the informed, smart conservatives on this board, but i'm sick of sorting through the crap and exposing the reckless hacks and nutjobs (jaxmike... wogga... felix[sometimes]... bluffthis... GWB... partygirlUK... Bholdr... )

Also.. i think we should have a "post and response of the week" sticky or something like that...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:56 AM

Sorry if you don't like reading facts or having logic applied to them. I know you don't find that constructive to peacefully wallowing in your emotionally derived lib views.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 AM

Personally, I think nothing should be locked or banned.

I am quite happy ignoring posts that I deem pointless even if I have an opinion or insight or thought on the subject. I would definitely ignore a post that asked if someone played KK properly etc.

In this forum at least, IMO, we dont have too many threads, or threads that are too convoluted to follow (besides, if they are, I just ignore them and my life is not lessened).

But, this is only my opinion.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While I have no interest in discussing pedophilia a whole lot

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The morality of pedophilia clearly qualifies on both counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is the only subject you mention regarding being off-limits, then your first quote doesn't ring true. And while discussing consensual sex between an adult and a 15 year old isn't in the same league as those who abuse young children, it still is discussing illegal activity with underage children/adolescents and shouldn't be tolerated. And it's not just a matter of legisaltion. And morality does matter, especially regarding children.

Grow up and seek a mature relationship with someone who is emotionally mature which a 15 year old girl isn't. And don't whine about just 1 taboo topic which is not indicative of a wider range of such topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood my post. The only reason pedophilia was mentioned at all was because that was the topic of the thread that was locked. I was making the point that issue X was a political issue and yet the thread was locked, is this how the forum should be handled?

I have not expressed my personal views on pedophilia here at all (note that I did not participate in the original thread either). The fact that you want to discuss pedophilia does show that the issue is a valid political issue and again raises the question of why the original thread was locked.

Feel free to discuss either forum censorship standards or pedophilia as you like.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:03 AM

So in other words, you would have no problem with some NAMBLA pervert starting a thread on how great it is to have sex with children under the age of puberty and how it should be legal. That right?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So in other words, you would have no problem with some NAMBLA pervert starting a thread on how great it is to have sex with children under the age of puberty and how it should be legal. That right?

[/ QUOTE ]

People start threads on how great using drugs are all the time. I think we can judge when someone is trolling (just trying to get a rise out of people by being outrageous) and when they are being honest.

The locked thread was not trolling, it was raising a legitimate issue in a non-provocative way.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 AM

You didn't answer my question. And having sex with minors isn't a legit topic for discussion.