Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Please Unban Josh whoever did it.

Apparently Josh was suspended for: "5-day suspension (11/2): starting a thread in WPT forum soley to call a player a douche."

First of all, that's kidn of what the WPT forum is for. Second of all, and much more importantly, of the 41k+ members of twoplustwo, there is no one who's suspension will adversely impact the quality of the forums more than Josh. He's a top strategy poster and continues to contribute more strategy than anyone else on a per day basis.

Let's not be so ridiculous here.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Please Unban Josh whoever did it.

Josh is serving his suspension unless Mat himself overturns it. Josh can contact me when the five days are up and I'll reinstate him myself. Nobody else should interfere.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, that's kidn of what the WPT forum is for.

[/ QUOTE ]

No forum here exists to call people douches, dykes, or whatever insult is popular at the time. Unfortunately, the WPT forum has outbreaks of this. Posters see players on TV make what they consider mistakes or act in a way they don't like and they come online and hurl curses and insults at them.

The post I started in this forum about 'tiffany" is an example of this. The woman who finished 15th in the 2005 WSOP is likely posting on these forums. Is she supposed to accept being called a dyke and douche by people who don't know her?

Nobody should have to post or read 2+2 in that kind of environment.

The 2+2 forums will be just fin if Josh (or any poster) takes a 5-day timeout.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:04 PM

If his post was out of line, then delete, edit or lock it. Banning someone like sthief for a post on the [censored] WPT forum is asinine.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If his post was out of line, then delete, edit or lock it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be surprised if he hadn't done this, but that's not the point.

He is undoubtedly a great poster, but everyone knows Dynasty's rule. It would be unfair to show favoritism in spots like this. If it's a rule for an average joe, then it should be a rule for the good posters too.

At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is that Dynasty makes the rules in the WPT forum, so it's pretty much his call.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:19 PM

I agree sthief is a great poster, but I also think that in this instance we shouldn't be overly leniant. If a great strategy poster makes a stupid post in OOT, that's one thing, but visciously insulting someone is another. I could perhaps see reducing his sentence somewhat, but any less than a day is would reflect poorly on the board.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be unfair to show favoritism in spots like this. If it's a rule for an average joe, then it should be a rule for the good posters too.call.

[/ QUOTE ]
My mistake. It would obviously be silly to take into account the actual posts that people have made when deciding whether to ban them or not. It would be unfair to the trolls and unproductive members of the forum to have more chance of being banned than the good posters.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

np
Old 11-02-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but everyone knows Dynasty's rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't, because there's no sticky. Josh doesn't post there often, so how would he know.

On another note, calling someone a douche is hardly that insulting. It's like calling someone an idiot, it's just a way of expressing you not liking someone. Calling someone a "dyke" is a completely different matter altogether, and I can understand why that would lead to a banning.

The kid was acting like a douche on TV by claiming he was the "best player in the world" or whatever. Josh called him out, IMO not a big deal, but whatever, lock the thread if nec.

[ QUOTE ]

At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is that Dynasty makes the rules in the WPT forum, so it's pretty much his call.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. The WPT is not Dynasty's fiefdom. As moderators, we don't owen these forums. We are tasked by twoplustwo management to try and maintain and and improve their quality. Banning Josh does more to ruin that than any post calling another a douche possibly could. I agree, the post should be locked, and Josh should be told not to do it. WHy does it need to go further than that? Why is there a need to punish Josh and the forum community any futher?

Some of the mods here have gotten quite out of hand with what they see as their power.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note, calling someone a douche is hardly that insulting. It's like calling someone an idiot, it's just a way of expressing you not liking someone. Calling someone a "dyke" is a completely different matter altogether, and I can understand why that would lead to a banning

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an opinion, much like Dynasty's. If you don't like his, take it up with Mat.

[ QUOTE ]

Some of the mods here have gotten quite out of hand with what they see as their power.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Dynasty DOES make the rules in that forum. Again, if you don't like it, take it up with Mat.

Honestly, I wouldn't ban for something like this, but it's completely unfair to impose one set of rules on one group of people and another on the 'good' posters. It's not a good practice. It's either a rule, or it isn't. People should not be allowed to get by it simply because of who they are.

EDIT-
[ QUOTE ]
there's no sticky.

[/ QUOTE ]

:nod:

Yeah, there really should be a sticky in there.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Dynasty DOES make the rules in that forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. That's why I suggested that something like deleting the thread would be reasonable since it is an action being taken by Dynasty in his forum. But he didn't do that. He banned the poster from all of twoplustwo, not just from his forum.

[ QUOTE ]
It's either a rule, or it isn't. People should not be allowed to get by it simply because of who they are.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is the "it" in the sentence? What rule? Is there a rule that if you use the word "douche" you are banned from these forums? I've never heard this.