Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Please George, we want you Actors to keep talking

Clooney vows to keep quiet about politics

Ocean's Eleven star George Clooney is urging his fellow Hollywood stars to keep quiet when it comes to politics, because he fears celebrity endorsements could wreck their favourite candidates' chances of victory.

Democrat Clooney and a number of screen stars have recently come under attack for voicing their political views.

And the actor, whose father Nick Clooney was recently defeated in his bid to be elected the congressional representative for Kentucky, has now vowed to be a lot more politically low-key.

He says: "My father ran for congress last year. I couldn't campaign for him and I knew I couldn't, because I'd hurt him. They tried to get me to get on the John Kerry train and I said: 'We'll hurt him. They'll use us as 'liberal'.'

"Now, I would argue that (throughout) American history, it's pretty hard to find a time when liberals were on the wrong side of an issue. We thought that the conservative view was: 'Witches should be burned at the stake.' Moderate view was: 'Well, just in case,' and the liberal view was: 'There's no such thing as witches.'

"We thought women should be able to vote and blacks should be allowed to sit at the front of the bus and Vietnam was wrong. We haven't really been on a lot of wrong sides for us to be sort of used as this bad word.

"But we hurt candidates right now, so we can do fundraisers quietly and make some money. But I think it's dangerous to get up and talk about it."
Old 10-04-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Please George, we want you Actors to keep talking

I get his point; what's yours?

-ptmusic
Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM

I've always thought it was funny how as Americans we seem to love to know everything about a celeberty. Women especally can't seem to get enough gossip about the stupid crap the rich and famous are doing. "Oh my god, did you see Tara Reid got a boob job?" "Did you know that kid from that 70s show got married to that old lady?" "Kenny Chesney and that woman from that movie with Tom Cruse got married and devorced in like, 2 days."

We follow their love lives closer than we follow our own at times. When they get in trouble with the law, they make Trials of the Century. Their kids are f-ing royalty. We have TV shows dedicated to how nice their homes are. Pictures of them going shopping for coffee fetch thousands of bucks.

But once they say anything political, they're pampered celeberties who are out of wack with reality.

Moral of the story: Americans are retarded.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"Now, I would argue that (throughout) American history, it's pretty hard to find a time when liberals were on the wrong side of an issue."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Total and complete idiocy.

[ QUOTE ]
We thought... blacks should be allowed to sit at the front of the bus

[/ QUOTE ]

But not go to public schools? Tell me again who the Governor of Alabama was in, say, 1963. Oh yea, George Wallace, a Democrat who didn't want "blacks" in a "white school" (University of Alabama).

[ QUOTE ]
"We thought...Vietnam was wrong. We haven't really been on a lot of wrong sides for us to be sort of used as this bad word."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, that makes so much sense since LIBERALS STARTED AMERICAN INVOLVEMENT IN THE WAR.

[ QUOTE ]
"But we hurt candidates right now, so we can do fundraisers quietly and make some money. But I think it's dangerous to get up and talk about it."

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. You have as much a right to talk about politics as politicians do about acting. Well, that's not really true. Politicians are better actors than you are politicians. Actually, politicians are the BEST actors, they convince people that they are not evil, I really don't know how they do it.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Now, I would argue that (throughout) American history, it's pretty hard to find a time when liberals were on the wrong side of an issue."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Total and complete idiocy.

[ QUOTE ]
We thought... blacks should be allowed to sit at the front of the bus

[/ QUOTE ]

But not go to public schools? Tell me again who the Governor of Alabama was in, say, 1963. Oh yea, George Wallace, a Democrat who didn't want "blacks" in a "white school" (University of Alabama).

[ QUOTE ]
"We thought...Vietnam was wrong. We haven't really been on a lot of wrong sides for us to be sort of used as this bad word."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, that makes so much sense since LIBERALS STARTED AMERICAN INVOLVEMENT IN THE WAR.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. You have as much a right to talk about politics as politicians do about acting. Well, that's not really true. Politicians are better actors than you are politicians. Actually, politicians are the BEST actors, they convince people that they are not evil, I really don't know how they do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you really stuck it to that Clooney guy.

I wonder if he'll respond?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 PM

even if you think politics is inherently evil, do you really think politicians are inherently evil?

i personally think that a lot of them are good honest men and women, but you won't even just give them misguided as opposed to evil?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Two Georges

[ QUOTE ]
Please, George, we want you Actors to keep talking!

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that you are a conservative. In general, conservatives wanna see the conservative agenda advanced and the liberal agenda discredited. To achieve these objectives

would you rather have George Clooney talk or George W Bush shut up ?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 AM

George is gonna hit a grand slam that knocks conservatives out of the park.

His new movie "Good Night and Good Luck" is a scathing indictment of the McCarthyism that was going at the time, and by proxy, a direct commentary on the fearmongering this administration perpetuates on a daily basis.

George is doing the smartest thing an artist can do(and I consider filmmaking an art form) - - taking his art and making a smart political statement with it - He's written/directed a great movie that'll have a lot more impact then him just expressing his views..

My fav. part - they aren't using an actor for McCarthey - they're gonna use the 50's footage in all it's raving, drunk, lunacy - LOL - it'll look like science fiction to today's youth....They'll realize GWB wasn't the first goddamned baldfaced liar, for one.

Know what I really want? - The Eugene McCarthy defenders to come out from the sewer and start defending him again before the movie is released... - Where's Ann Coultier when you need her -

RB