Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: 6FU Series Finale (Don\'t Open, if you haven\'t seen)

Books???!?! NO way, there is plenty of HBO coming up!

Rome premiers next Sunday

So does "Extras" (I think it's something like that) featuring the main character from the UK "The Office" it looks hysterical

Curb Your Enthusiasm starts Sept. 25

Hopefully, "The Wire" which is IMHO the best of all will start up soon....
Old 08-22-2005, 12:05 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i don't watch sfu for "hbo", i watch it because it's an insanely wonderful show. i'm not going to get what i got out of this with rome or curb your enthusiasm, they're not remotely similar in terms of subject, expression, or meaning.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:07 PM

I really don't understand why this show was so popular. I can't really get into a show where I seriosuly dislike the majority of the characters. It was watchable, but that was about it.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, "The Wire" which is IMHO the best of all will start up soon....

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they bringing that back? Seems like it's likely to have a real different feel with Stringer dead and Avon in jail (again). I should try and watch the second season some time. I saw most of seasons 1 and 3, but none of 2.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 PM

Acutally, Season 2 of "The Wire" had little to do with Stringer and Avon. They were present, but the plot mainly revolved around corruption at the dockyards.

Stringer and Avon were undoubtedly great characters, but the show can easily continue without them. In reality, how much longevity do inner city drug dealers have? Probably not much.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 PM

While this is true, I believe HBO programming to be of an extraordinarily high quality, and I enjoy all of its original programming. I loved 6FU but I love some of the other shows as much.

Do you watch any of their other dramatic series? The Wire or Deadwood perhaps?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM

Really? I don't think I disliked any characters. In fact, whenever there is a character I "dislike" as in, I wouldn't want to hang out with him/her, I usually enjoy that person's contribution to the show just as much as a character I "like."
Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i've seen deadwood, didn't grip me. don't know anything about the wire. the thing i liked about 6fu was that it was just LIFE. liberal and affluent and all of that, but with such things out of the way it leaves the canvas blank for people to "be themselves", for better or for worse, with less encumberance. the show was really about life, not a theme.

i didn't get much sleep last night for unrelated reasons, but i'm feeling really down right now over the show.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? I don't think I disliked any characters. In fact, whenever there is a character I "dislike" as in, I wouldn't want to hang out with him/her, I usually enjoy that person's contribution to the show just as much as a character I "like."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I have to like everyone in the show. And unlikeable characters are necessary for story lines. But there was really no one I liked with the exception of maybe Ruth and Rico. The rest of them I pretty much wanted to see die.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:42 PM

Well put. I assume you've seen American Beauty, if not, you should check that out (also Alan Ball).

I found the montage at the end to be very sad but also I found it eye-opening, relaxing and comforting. I was left with the feeling that we don't need to fear change, the end, death etc.