Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You have AKo in UTG+2. UTG Bets, UTG+1 raises, you...
Raise 23 56.10%
Call 10 24.39%
Fold 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Flopping quads choice

3-bet and hope someone caps the flop or someone gets tricky on the turn and cr's or donk bets. The blinds are already going to have to call 2 cold, so you are highly likely to loose them anyway.

I know this post isn't about pre-flop, but I personally hate cold calling for set value when directly behind the pre-flop raiser for the exact reason that came up in this hand. You have horrible relative position and your raises will put way more pressure on players than you probably want since you can't get them on the installment plan.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:13 PM

I think overall you will get more action if you 3-bet. Is is very unlikely that either or them will fold the flop and it might be capped, so you are looking at getting an extra 1.5 to 2.5 BB into the pot. That's basically the same as raising the turn and you cannot be sure that you will be bet into on the turn. On top of that, no one will suspect that you have a 7 and will give you plenty of action on the turn and river.

If there was a flush draw possible, I would be more likely to just cold call since it looks like I'm on a draw and there is a greater chance of that they will make second best hands.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you've got to milk this one a little. I am raising the turn. Who knows, maybe 55 is out there waiting to cap the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think 55 will not cap the turn and river if you 3-bet the flop?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:11 PM

no, but people are suspicious of a set.

In fact, I called and on subsequent streets it was checked round to me, bet-call-call and bet-fold-call despite a Queen and 9 coming out. Took down a reasonable pot without raising once.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:24 PM

How would you have played this hand if you had 55 instead of 77?

Cuz that's what your opponents are gonna put you on when you start raising.

Lawrence
Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In fact, I called and on subsequent streets it was checked round to me, bet-call-call and bet-fold-call despite a Queen and 9 coming out. So I probably lost 1BB by not raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-16-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this post isn't about pre-flop, but I personally hate cold calling for set value when directly behind the pre-flop raiser for the exact reason that came up in this hand. You have horrible relative position and your raises will put way more pressure on players than you probably want

[/ QUOTE ]
But we have more than set value here. If instead of 775, the flop had been 832, you would love to have the pfr betting into you so that you can raise and protect your hand. And you are going to catch a flop like the latter much more often than the one we got. This looks to me like a good spot to take the flop for two bets with a couple people in due to the the combination of the possibility of flopping your set and the possiblity of ending up in a situation where your sevens look good unimproved and you can much more easily protect your hand than if you three-bet pf because of the smaller pot and our relative position. In the case where the pfr has a bigger pair, we don't reopen the action to him and end up paying four bets to see a flop three-handed when there are only two cards in the deck that help us.

Even if we are mainly playing for set value, it is too much of an oversimplification to ignore the other things that can happen in deciding the best play. There is all kinds of goodness with the coldcall here.

My only real concern about coldcalling is the metagame. Since there are very few hands I would coldcall here, an opponent who knows me well could put me on a narrow range of hands, whereas if I were to three-bet with mid pairs here, it would mean that my hand rage would be quite wide. But that seems pretty minor to me compared to the benefits.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:38 PM

Call because it might be reraised and capped behind you. You want to be caught in a raising war, don't you?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:09 PM

of course, but I know that they don't have no sevens and neither knows who has a seven, so the likelihood of a raising war is very slim. As Lawrence said, a reraise makes it look like a 55 flopped boat, but even that is useless because unless someone else has 55 there's no real chance of action.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In fact, I reraised anyway and everybody check-folded [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] losing me at least 3BB

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

the alternative ending [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]