Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: 5-5 NL at Foxwoods - very deepstacks

[ QUOTE ]

When I read this post, I thought there's almost no hand this villain, if he's an average 5-5 NL player at Foxwoods, has anything other than the straight. I would fold here, but then again I would not put myself in hero's position (raise preflop, have more $ in front of me, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

i completely agree with this. i rarely see random laggy behavior and i realllllly never see an all in massive overbet without the nuts. you have to raise preflop and whatever everyone else said, but in this situation you are beat.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:12 PM

Add me to the idiot list.

This just sounds like someone who played above their means and got crushed.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 PM

to the OP:

dude, you had the 3rd nuts and he turned over the nuts... it happens... so rebuy and get back in there.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:25 AM

What's your address LuvDemNutz? I'd like to ship you a box of tissues. I might even include a basic math textbook. Sounds like you need that too...
Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 AM

It isn't a quick fold, but feel that it is most likely right.

When this money gets deep in the 5-5 players start getting involved more with lots of little longshot hands obviously due to implied odds and that outplay postflop jazz. Hands limped or even played for a decent open here will be much more varied for the most part than that of capped bigger blind online games, like the Stars 2k.

If the guy has a set he played it freakishly, it just looks like you're in trouble and you aren't getting spectacular odds.

ON THE OTHER HAND....

You are the shortstack with top set. If you are gonna play short, you can't exactly afford to throw away top set when you hit it. Problem is it's a nothing pot and you are getting craptacular odds with one left to come against a raiser with a poorly defined hand.

Sucks you have no read. Some players in this game that see a youngish kid sit down (straight up assumption on my part about your age, although it could be an older player as well) with a minimum buy in, run it up a bit, and they will muscle the living hell out of him at any shot they can take, straight air, semi-bluffs, whatever.

I think a raise is in order here with TT pre flop, you lack artillery compared to the rest but still got some to play with. From what I have seen and hands I have discussed with friends who play somewhat regularly in this game, you probably aren't going to cut down the field too much with a decent open, but want a raised pot when you flop a set with this hand. My logic maybe be off though.

JMO, I play way, wa lower than this.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:00 AM

You should have disconected after he put you in on the turn.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-02-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have disconected after he put you in on the turn.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

how, by having someone else pull the plug?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: RESULTS and my 2 cents

How can you say on the one hand that

"I would be really, really, really surprised to see 44 or 77 here. I cannot think of a single time I have seen someone play a set like that. Smooth-call flop, massive overbet on the turn just seems like a completely moronic way to build a pot with a set."

But on the other hand you might fold because he might have a str8.

The massive overbet is either a big hand or a big bluff. A set is a big hand, so why can he not make this move with a set ?

Surely that is inconsistent thinking.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:58 PM

What neon said.

The play at the Foxwoods 5/5 is not bad. It is, in fact, filled with very good players while fish revolve their way in the one or 2 empty seats at the table. The game is loose as a goose preflop with players limping with any 2 cards due to massive implieds odds. But the game it is as solid as can be postflop.

Also, I have RARELY seen massive overbets to blow a shortstack off a hand there. The postflop betting in this game is very controlled with the exception of a super-lag here and there.

The game definitely gets a bad rap on this forum and I don't get why. It is for sure the toughest live NL game I've ever sat in (granted I haven't sat in all THAT many but still).

Nuts,
If you have $500, sit at the 2/4NL game. You will not BELIEVE how soft it is. I lost 2k in 30 minutes yesterday at the 5/10NL and went to the 2/4NL and was even in a few hours.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 PM

I'd actually think about the call, but grudgingly make it.

With no PFR and 6 to the flop with a possible hand that may crush me, albeit unlikely ones, I'm not instacalling with this little invested in a pot and virtually no information about my opponents and their hands..

If I'm dumb enough not to make a small raise preflop, I'll let this guy make his delayed bluff on the turn if that's his style.. He hasn't been sitting here for long and doesn't know much about me, so why not try something like this with the straight?

His 'bluff' just seems a little too suspicious. I'd honestly consider waiting to learn more about his play before calling off essentially all of my stack with what may only 10 be outs. Whether or not I'd do it depends on the vibe of the table, honestly. I'm usually calling, tho.

-kyo