Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 06:41 PM

Default When Ed Miller met Peter_Rus

Basically following what I've been told by these two notable blah blah blah you know the rest.

Standard? Or lucky?

Paradise Poker 8/16 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $8.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 03-11-2005, 06:47 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: When Ed Miller met Peter_Rus

You're betting into a likely raise very close to your left. There's more action to be tried for from your left. I'd have checked the flop, seen how many players are coming along. Let some others in.

b
Old 03-11-2005, 06:48 PM

UTG knows how to make a good laydown.

I think this is standard. I will sometimes not bet out on the flop here, if I feel there is a chance of raise to my left (what happened to you), and if I am fairly sure someone else will bet anyway. It sucks getting the field blown away.

gm
Old 03-11-2005, 06:52 PM

My thoughts.

No reason at all to bet this flop. The most likely bettor will be MP1 so if you can get SB and the poster to come along then you can raise for value. Also if MP1 bets and its folded to you, a checkraise will increase your chance of taking the pot if nobody has a Q and MP1 has an unimproved AK or AJ or something.

If you get 3-bet then it's still for value if enough people come along, but on a board like that it's probably unlikely to get a bunch of callers. Play cautiously if the A or K or hearts comes up!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Yeah I guess UTG had a big pair or read me well for the flush. With that scary flop there was no way I wanted it to get checked through though and wanted to either take it down right there or bet for value. Of course, no other flush hand (which would 99% beat mine) is going anywhere so I wasn't too disappointed to see the hands fold away. You have to worry about boats too even if the flush hits.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that scary flop there was no way I wanted it to get checked through

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop being checked through is far from being disastrous. This statement sounds like you're the one trying to protect something. Like what? What are you afraid of giving a free card to?

b
Old 03-11-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No reason at all to bet this flop. The most likely bettor will be MP1 so if you can get SB and the poster to come along then you can raise for value. Also if MP1 bets and its folded to you, a checkraise will increase your chance of taking the pot if nobody has a Q and MP1 has an unimproved AK or AJ or something.

If you get 3-bet then it's still for value if enough people come along, but on a board like that it's probably unlikely to get a bunch of callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the board, I would fore-go c/raising for value on your draw. You will likely kill your action and there's a chance you will be 3 bet.

However, c/r'ing to maybe take it down with a turn bet unimproved representing a Q has some merit. However, most callers to the original bet, before you c/r are likely to have you beat and you'll have to catch to win. This would have to be a somewhat tight postflop table to try this, imo.

b
Old 03-11-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Standard? Or lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:16 PM

Check/call the flop, I think betting out is pretty bad.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that scary flop there was no way I wanted it to get checked through though

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, you have six high.