Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Valued Posts and Posters

This forum needs to lighten up.

If you didn't know that AA23 was a fav over 6789 then you are pretty new to this game. Either way, several people pointed out that he was joking.

Winter and ribbo may tick some people off, but they both undeniably understand PLO8 very well, and reading their posts will make everyone here better at that game.

If you ignore them, it's your loss, and I'd really question why you come to the forum.

You should never be taking anything anyone says on these forums at face value. Doing your own thinking and challenging the thinking of others is how you get better.

-g
Old 12-03-2005, 11:03 PM

WM, my point isn't that you have deceived ME yet, it is that lately you have exhibited a desire to mislead people as a prank-- along with giving real advice. I don't take what you post as the gospel to begin with so I am somewhat insulated from this, but I'd like to think that when you are posting advice about hands, strategy and statistics that you are being sincere, and not making somebody the butt of your inside joke.

My premise was that you can be valued for your strategy and your humor, but pulling pranks hurts the people who don't know better, and as a consequence nullifies peoples ability to trust and learn from you. Its an unproductive use of your humor.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:11 PM

Beset, I think we need Dr. Phil up in this b!tch. Some serious healing needs to take place.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Whatever the case may be, I am in a tough situation because I have a libertarian streak and don't like to be overly-paternalistic. It annoys me to have to lock threads and edit posts that aren't either (a) totally off-topic (b) spam. But, I've been charged with the task of keeping the poker strategy discussion to noise ratio at a good level and if I have to be more aggressive about that it would be bad for everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea, put in the FAQ to put all reading the board questions in the beginners forum where they belong.

I think you are in very real danger of removing the little poker strategy content there really is on this forum if you get too aggressive, but that is just my opinion. On the front page right now we have the following posts:

This Post
How do I read the board?
What is the PLO8 winrate?
Whining about having to fold when being freerolled
How do I play a really big flop?
Is Eurobet any good for LO8?
Is Party getting bad for PLO8?
A potentially decent post about shorthanded play
How do I play 6789s preflop?
How do I count outs in certain situations?

I only see one of these posts as being possible to generate real poker strategy discussion, and the advice in there looks a little weak tight to me.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beset, I think we need Dr. Phil up in this b!tch. Some serious healing needs to take place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could never trust a fat man who writes dieting books. sorry.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whatever the case may be, I am in a tough situation because I have a libertarian streak and don't like to be overly-paternalistic. It annoys me to have to lock threads and edit posts that aren't either (a) totally off-topic (b) spam. But, I've been charged with the task of keeping the poker strategy discussion to noise ratio at a good level and if I have to be more aggressive about that it would be bad for everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea, put in the FAQ to put all reading the board questions in the beginners forum where they belong.

I think you are in very real danger of removing the little poker strategy content there really is on this forum if you get too aggressive, but that is just my opinion. On the front page right now we have the following posts:

This Post
How do I read the board?
What is the PLO8 winrate?
Whining about having to fold when being freerolled
How do I play a really big flop?
Is Eurobet any good for LO8?
Is Party getting bad for PLO8?
A potentially decent post about shorthanded play
How do I play 6789s preflop?
How do I count outs in certain situations?

I only see one of these posts as being possible to generate real poker strategy discussion, and the advice in there looks a little weak tight to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good points.

I'm sure that if they were to merge all the HE forums into one forum instead of dividing it up by betting structure and limits these same problems would arise.

Ideas I have:

Divide the forum into two forums. If there's a demand I don't think it's that big of a deal to do this. One for micro/small stakes, one for mid/high stakes.

Or, have a strict policy of people labeling their beginners posts in the topic as such or clearly labeling the limit and betting structure.

Overall, people should just try to be more tolerant. I proposed the digest thing last month. Someone else suggested a play a hand with the masters deal. That kind of stuff would be good.

But, whatever. In the end, these things have a life of their own. Use it as a tool to get better at poker or don't.

Also, remember, as Ray Zee noted in his book: for some reason new poker players are attracted to Omaha/8. Probably because it seems complicated and interesting. This is just a fact and even before the Omaha/8 forum was created and all the O8 posts were in "Other Poker" there has always been a lot of noobish questions.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 AM

THIS WAS A VALUED [censored] RUG, MAN!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:11 PM

Looking at the front page --- I'm about to puke. I didn't come to this forum for this! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think we need to get rid of all these [censored] threads. Move them or delete them on the spot. Im talking about the retarded ones, like how to count outs or how to figure out lows. Its a shame noone is posting interesting hands anymore.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at the front page --- I'm about to puke. I didn't come to this forum for this! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think we need to get rid of all these [censored] threads. Move them or delete them on the spot. Im talking about the retarded ones, like how to count outs or how to figure out lows. Its a shame noone is posting interesting hands anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Click the notify moderator button each time you see a post that you think should be in the beginners forum or internet gambling or somewhere else and if I agree I'll take care of it.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree. How to read low boards and counting outs are exactly the type of threads newer players should be reading in this forum. Counting outs in particular is quite difficult even for intermediate players.

-g