Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM

Default The 6 year old who changed the history of the U.S.

5 years ago, Elian Gonzales was deported by the Clinton administration to live the rest of his life as a prisoner of the totalitarian regime in Cuba.

Al Gore lost more than enough votes in Florida because of this action to lose the 2000 election.

We have had George Bush for 5 years as President as a result.

Is Elian's suffering as a prisoner of Cuba worth the change in history his case has begotten us?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: The 6 year old who changed the history of the U.S.

It's amazing when you think about it how the smallest little things could have the most enormous effect on human history.

I agree with you that Elian could have changed everything. Also, what if Lewinsky had never mentioned that she had a stained dress or Linda Tripp never thought to suggest that she keep it? What if Gore hadn't sighed so much during the first 2000 presidential debate? What if that Palm Beach woman had never designed a butterfly ballot?

There are thousands of little things that one person remotely or indirectly related to the life of people like Hitler, Stalin, religion originators, etc. could have done that would have changed history in unknown ways. Maybe for the worse and maybe for the better. I didn't vote for Bush so I would love to have seen a world without him in charge, but here's a strange thought. What if a string of events had been triggered without Bush that somehow would have been even worse than they are with him?

I must have been delirious for a moment. Nothing could be worse than Bush. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that Elian could have changed everything. Also, what if Lewinsky had never mentioned that she had a stained dress or Linda Tripp never thought to suggest that she keep it? What if Gore hadn't sighed so much during the first 2000 presidential debate? What if that Palm Beach woman had never designed a butterfly ballot?

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the Supreme Court didn't vote 5-4
Old 09-30-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 years ago, Elian Gonzales was deported by the Clinton administration to live the rest of his life with his father in Cuba.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-30-2005, 12:25 PM

To clarify my point. I agree that Elian should have been returned to his father, even if his father lived in Cuba. I was just commenting on how certain things can changes other things in monumental ways.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the Supreme Court didn't vote 5-4

[/ QUOTE ]

What if one of those 5 weren't a duck hunting buddy of one of the VP candidates?

What if the Secretary of State of Florida (in charge of the State's election) weren't ALSO the co-chair of the election campaign of one of the Presidential candidates?

What if Rush Limbaugh were considered by everybody to be the big fat idiot he really is?

-ptmusic
Old 09-30-2005, 02:38 PM

Its funny how you think that the event in which the president followed the law was the cause of the party shift of the presidency, not the fact he had "sexual relations" with that woman.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the Supreme Court didn't vote 7-2

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:57 PM

Of course I mean to say "had not voted", oh well, I constantly get lost in translation.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:36 AM

Default Bugliosi

[ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
This matter has been put to rest by Vincent Bugliosi's "Betrayal Of America". Anyone who has not read it can be excused to think that there was nothing wrong with what the Supreme Court did in 2000. link