Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Percentage in the money for regular MTTs

In Limit Hold'em we know that a really top player will be hitting +3BB/100 hands.

Is there an equivalent measure for online MTTs? Now I know the variance is even greater than for limit, but people who played hundreds and thousands of tournys and are coming out ahead must have some metric?

Maybe top 3 finishes? Or ROI %ge? Or average finish position? Or a combination of the above..... anyone use any or all of the above or others?

Just interested....
Old 06-10-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Percentage in the money for regular MTTs

I would imagine that a good tourney player should expect to finish ITM around 65% of the time in tournaments under 500 players....I think once the fields get larger than that it becomes more and more of a crapshoot
Old 06-10-2005, 05:34 AM

65% of the time is absurd...

dont worry about your itm %s at all, worry about your final table %s and top 3 spots...
Old 06-10-2005, 07:16 AM

Thanks Don, and I know you are v experienced; care to share your (approximate) final table %ge and top 3 finish %ge? I guess it does depend on whether you are playing tourneys with 150 or 1500 players.....
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 AM

I don't care about ITM at all. ITM just gets you a little more than your money back. You probably expect to be in the noney 10-30% of the time.

I wouldn't say you have to make the final table. I think some people did pretty well in last year's WSOP ME without making the final table.

You can't quantify things with something like BB/hour like with limit HE. Playing tournaments is a lot more speculative than limit cash games. You look more at what you are making per month or per year.

I took 7th in the Party Super Thursday last night for $3000, 24th in the big Party MTT on Sunday for $2000, and 2nd in the $30 rebuy on Paradise on Memorial Day for $8500. I couldn't care less how many times I finished ITM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You look more at what you are making per month or per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which will give you a Return On Investment which is quantifiable, assuming you keep records. That's one of my suggested metrics.