Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: College Advice.

[ QUOTE ]
Start going to 100% of your classes 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found this to be very good advice.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 PM

Sleeping, playing poker, spending time with the girlfriend, posting on 2+2, playing video games, etc.

I am going to be taking two Maymester courses. English 2 and hopefully again Precalculus. Then I am planning on studying abroad next year and getting my foreign language and an art class under my belt.

[ QUOTE ]
im gonna have to agree with Jeff A. here

[/ QUOTE ]
As most people will, but I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. Sorry.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 PM

drink beer
Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 PM

This is not a difficult choice. Drop the math class. It will surely save you money in the long run; even if you have to pay for that one class later on because you need to go an extra semester, you won't have to pay for ALL of your classes.

-Michael
Old 03-01-2005, 05:51 PM

Caruso,

Since you showed a little planning at least in your previous reply to me, I'm gonna have to say it one more time. Jeff may come off like a dick, but he's right.

Think of it in poker terms. The EV of getting better at poker (in addition to only being short term) is MUCH lower than the EV of straightening out your college stuff. Plus, once you get back on track, you'll have a lot more fun with your entire life, because you won't have to worry about your grades while you're playing/posting (which apparently you do, at least a little).

Then again, if you fail out, you'll have plenty of time to play and post.

Just get it done - everybody here that's replied in a serious way knows what they're talking about. They've either been there or in some cases are there (like me - school comes first right now). I suggest removing all poker programs from your computer for at least the next month - I know how it seems, but you're a second semester frosh, how many costs could you have? You'll have money for ramen and laundry. Get your classes taken care of, and do whatever it takes to keep your GPA up. Gonna be tough, but sometimes you have to make the tough calls. There'll be plenty of soft games for you to play when you get back.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a difficult choice. Drop the math class. It will surely save you money in the long run; even if you have to pay for that one class later on because you need to go an extra semester, you won't have to pay for ALL of your classes.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm going to do. As well as going to 100% of my classes 100% of the time now. I am going to take 3-6 hours of courses over Maymester so that will help me get a few of those core courses behind me. If I happen to lose the scholarship I will just get as many student loans as I need and deal with them later in life. Finishing college with loans is still +EV compared to not finishing IMO. Worst comes to worst I'm going to transfer to the 2-year college here in town and finish my core their, then transfer back to GCSU to finish my major curriculum.

I'm going to continue playing poker and posting here on 2+2 because poker is something I would like to do as part of my income in the future (on the side, not pro) and I want to improve as much as I can. I'll try to ease up on the boards a little bit I guess.

*EDIT* Edge, I know. I'm going to try to slow down on the poker because it is taxing on my life, and not just school. I know I'm addicted to it, but I can't quit cold turkey and I would like to keep playing later in my life. But just not as much so. I'm working on cutting down my hours per day. I've gone from about 6-10 to 2-4 now in the last few weeks. Oh, and don't suggest GA.

Thanks for everyone's advice (even the dickhead advice which was taken with a grain of salt). I'll try my best to not [censored] up anymore, keep my scholarship, and graduate semi-on time.

[ QUOTE ]
drink beer

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't. I'm an alcoholic and I've been dry for about 3 months. Besides, I prefer liquor.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an alcoholic

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord uve got a lot of problems to deal with
u need to get ur life in order
Old 03-01-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, if you honestly care about pulling your grades back up, you'll forget that WoW ever existed. If you pick up WoW, I'll definitely take the under on your GPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very very true. having the above knowledge, if you still go out and buy this game you are basically saying that you dont really give a [censored] and are destined to lose your scholarship.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:59 PM

what kind of CS program lets you take precalc your freshman year, study art and language abroad for a year and still graduate close to on time?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an alcoholic

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord uve got a lot of problems to deal with
u need to get ur life in order

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say I was an alcoholic, because I don't drink anymore, but most of the fucktards at AA (never been, quit with my family's help) say that once you're an alcoholic you're always an alcoholic. So that's why I said I was.

I have an addictive lifestyle. Oops.

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of CS program lets you take precalc your freshman year, study art and language abroad for a year and still graduate close to on time?

[/ QUOTE ]

God bless Liberal Arts colleges. I'm studying abroad during the summer semester, which I wouldn't take classes during anyways. So it's extra work. Precalc is just because I didn't take it in High School because my counselor was a dumbass. So I have to take it before Calc.