Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: College Advice.

Well out of 27 hours, I'll complete 15. The only thing I heard is that dropping classes doesn't hurt your HOPE GPA or if you receive it or not, but you are alotted a certain number of HOPE hours. 128. So the classes I dropped drain those hours. That is the only reprocussion I know of.

[ QUOTE ]
You should quit school and become an internet poker pro.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW this is what I'm doing as a part-time job already and will be doing full-time over the Summer.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:28 PM

Seriously, if you honestly care about pulling your grades back up, you'll forget that WoW ever existed. If you pick up WoW, I'll definitely take the under on your GPA.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:30 PM

Over/Under 3.0 by the end of the semester.

1:2 Under
4:1 Over

Place your bets!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most of my posts are from SSNL forum. When you see the majority of my posts lacking any substance then tell me to lay off the boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emmitt's point, since you seem like you're taking a pretty big attitude (and judging by your current academic situation):

You admit to having no motivation to even get out of bed to go to class, but you've found enough time in about 2 months to make 700 posts. Even myself - I've made slightly over 1k in almost a year and a half. Each post may not take that much time by itself, but it can add up. I know, trust me - when I'm having trouble in classes (and I've been there), this was the first thing to go.

There needs to be some kind of priority in your life, especially now. As a freshman right out of high school, I kinda blew off my first semester (and I didn't even know about this place), and you seem like you're kinda doing the same thing. There's plenty of a chance to fix it, but you have to do it for yourself. There's certainly nobody here that can make you do it, only try to give you suggestions...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:31 PM

Hey man, 15 hours in one year...just pretend you interned for a semester, and it'll all be gravy.

Good luck with the grades.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM

Yea edge, I took it the same way I took the troll comment. But I guess he was saying I'm spending time on 2+2 that I could be studying. Sure, I could. And I'm working on bringing poker down on the priorities list at the moment. So with that 2+2 will come down too. Poker and 2+2 are just two things I enjoy and both take up a lot of my free time right now.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the situation. I'm a second semester freshmen in college at the moment. I've got 8 hours earned last semester (after dropping 6 hours) with a 2.75 GPA. I'm currently on the HOPE scholarship which pays my tuition and some other things. This requires me to maintain a 3.0 GPA. It is pretty crucial I keep this scholarship because my family is middle/lower class and can't afford to send me to school. So I'd have to take out a few loans. Roughly $6000 per semester. So I'm working on bringing my GPA back up.

I've now found out that I am failing Precalculus with only 2 more tests left in the semester. I have a 55 in the class at the moment. If I stay in Precalculus the minimum I can get would be a C. Or else it would be pretty detrimental to my already shaky GPA. The reason I'm not doing well though is because I've missed so much of class, not because I don't understand the material.

However, if I drop Precalc now, with my remaining classes and the grades I expect to make in them (based on my current grades) I am almost 90% sure that my GPA will be above a 3.0 next semester. And then I would be able to retain my scholarship.

But I'm already a semester behind, and this class is a basic core class that I will have to take if I want to advance in my major (Computer Science). So, my question is: Should I try and stick it out and bring up the 55 or, should I drop the class and just focus on bringing my GPA up this semester and not worry about being a semester behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Precalc? In college? Comp Sci major? These 3 things seem incompatible.

Also:

[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 01/12/05

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the fck out of here and don't come back until after the end of the semester. This is a ridiculous amount of time you've wasted, and you can see the results already. You've got zero chance of making it if you keep doing what you're doing. Zero.

(Yes, I'm being a dick. I don't care.)
Old 03-01-2005, 05:43 PM

How do they seem incompatible?

I came here and wanted to get better at poker. I am getting better, so I'm going to continue to post. It's not time wasted in my mind. I asked for advice, not dickhead demands.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:44 PM

how are you not going to your pre-calc class with so little credits? what are you doing with yourself?

and am i the only one who thought calc I and calc II were easy
how can you be failing pre-calc? its the same as algebra II.

my advice: take summer classes
Old 03-01-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 01/12/05

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the fck out of here and don't come back until after the end of the semester. This is a ridiculous amount of time you've wasted, and you can see the results already. You've got zero chance of making it if you keep doing what you're doing. Zero.

(Yes, I'm being a dick. I don't care.)

[/ QUOTE ]

im gonna have to agree with Jeff A. here