Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Super Thurs. Hand

Sorry I dont have the HH here but I know exactly the sequence.
I have AQos in 4th position. I raise to 100 blinds (10-20). One off the button calls, the button calls all in for 100, and the bb calls. Flop Q62. The pot is 450 and it is checked to me. I bet out 400 and the guy one off the button calls bb folds. Turn 6 i push my last 400 in he calls with 22. Im just wondering is it really possible to get away from that in one of these supers where you start with so few chips or is that just something where i have to lose my chips
Old 10-27-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Super Thurs. Hand

You played the hand fine, it happens. Not much you can do w/ TPTK in a large pot with small stacks.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 PM

I don't like playing AQ that strong preflop early in a tourney, but other than that its just a tough hand where you're most likely going to go broke no matter what.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM

You didn't have enough chips to get away once that flop came.

Though I'm not a fan of raising up AQo early in a tourney in EP. Too often its a "win a small pot or lose a big one" situation.

BTW notice that the guy with 22 did not play this hand well at all given your stack. His implied odds were just not there since he needed to get your whole stack EVERY time he set. Obviously, you don't stack off on many flops.

Shake it off, but be careful building pots out of position with awkward stack sizes.

Everett
Old 10-27-2005, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. One more thing. Do you like limping or folding in ep? Still would be a tough spot if I limped and 22 called, which he would.I think I was getting a little impatient and saw how terrible my table was and wanted to take advantage with a decent hand, so thats why I raised.

Its a tough spot if I had limped and value betted the hand. If I had limped then what is your line for the rest of the hand? Im probably just getting paranoid after being busted by sets like this, but Im trying to get back into the MTT scene after a long hiatus due to sngs. thanks

Also, say i had AK and did raise and hit a K62 flop, are you going to go broke like I did?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 PM

I wouldn't open fold AQ in a early position. I would limp or standard raise. Raising to 60 is OK. The overbet, although it denies odds to a pp, is kind of silly in this situation.

In a live tournament with 3xBB in blinds and antes and reasonably shallow money, a raise to 5xBB with AQ is OK. You are mostly just trying to take the blinds and antes.

With 75xBB, AQo is not that strong. It is a "trouble hand", which leads to making TPTK/TPGK or ace high. It's good for shallow money or limit where it doesn't matter if you win with a big hand or a small hand. With deep money, you can win a small pot or lose a big pot. This is exactly what happened to you.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:31 PM

betgo- i understand the raise but what is your line on the flop/turn/river assuming you hit your top pair and he calls you to the river. bet sizes?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:36 PM

I bust out like you did with the raise you made and that board. With a smaller raise, it might still be hard not to bust out. If you limp, you probably don't lose your whole stack. A set is very difficult to read. With the choppy queen high board, you should be ahead.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I was getting a little impatient and saw how terrible my table was and wanted to take advantage with a decent hand, so thats why I raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

very bad reasoning imho
Old 10-28-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies guys. One more thing. Do you like limping or folding in ep? Still would be a tough spot if I limped and 22 called, which he would.I think I was getting a little impatient and saw how terrible my table was and wanted to take advantage with a decent hand, so thats why I raised.

Its a tough spot if I had limped and value betted the hand. If I had limped then what is your line for the rest of the hand? Im probably just getting paranoid after being busted by sets like this, but Im trying to get back into the MTT scene after a long hiatus due to sngs. thanks

Also, say i had AK and did raise and hit a K62 flop, are you going to go broke like I did?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would be likely to go broke on either AK or AQ in those situations.

However, by raising a smaller amount preflop and not betting so much after the flop, you can hope to not lose your entire stack here.

Save big bets early on for A.monster hands or B.Situations where you're hoping to enduce a fold but if he does happen to call then you still think you're favored. or C. outright bluffs that you can easily lay down when played back at.