Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Did i Donk this up?

stars 20$ 180 person sng 32 left and top 18 pay
avg is about 8500 i have 6400
blinds 200 400
I have been playing tightly but have been caught on a steal with garbage once or twice a while back
utg+2 i make it 1200 to go with a8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] big stack with about 14000 in mp2 calls we see flop HU

flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
i check ( how is this check?)
turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
again I check villain bets 2500, ( I overlooked a key fact here but ill see if u guys notice it) i call

River - blank i think it was a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something
again i check, he fires for the rest of my chips ~2800 i hesitate and ......
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Did i Donk this up?

I hope raising A8s in EP isn't part of what you consider "playing tight". Unless your table is super tight and/or giving your raises a lot of respect, I'm mucking A8s out of position without much thought.

Once you get to the flop, I think you should bet the flop *unless* you are willing to play this hand for all your chips (i.e. your plan is to check-call anything, including all-in, which might be a reasonable line against a loose-aggressive villan).

Since you are asking the question, I assume that is not the case, so I think you should bet out on the flop to see where you are. If villan is reasonable, his most likely holding to be calling an EP raise with is a small to medium pair. He'll probably fold that to a flop bet (assuming of course he didn't catch a set).

Back to the matter at hand, some kind of read would be nice. Given how many chips are in the pot, he's probably only making this bet when he thinks he has you beat, since you've only got to call another 2800 into a pot that has over 10K in it. You're getting 4-1. Do you have him beat 1 time in 5? Honestly, I think that's right on the edge. I think I'd fold just because I can't imagine what he'd play this way that you beat. Is he really making this bet with JJ or TT?

Not sure what the key fact was, unless it is some kind of read on villan.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:10 AM

This is a very strange hand. I dont know why you checked the flop... and the turn. I don't know why you raise PF. I would have pushed the turn, unwilling to let him draw to a flush, and not about to get away from my ace (ITS TOP PAIR PEOPLE!!!). I can't imagine why you would fold this river having played so passively so far. You're begging for him to bet and when he does, you might as well call. As for John's points - if you were in villians shoes, wouldn't you possible put hero on a number of hands that could fold this river and NOT put him on an ace? I mean, who plays an ace this passively on a flushing board. Many players would pull this bluff. I call this.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 AM

Yes, I think you did.

I don't like anything about this hand myself.