Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Aborting Black babies for the good of society

Bennett, a conservative radio commentator, stirred outrage for saying on his talk show on Wednesday: "But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down."

Man with the Plan
Old 10-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Aborting Black babies for the good of society

How convenient for you to leave out the rest of the quote. I'll provide it for you. On the concept of aborting black babies Bennett said: "That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do." Yep, sure sounds like he is in favor of it.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:04 AM

Default You are Spreading a LIE which makes you a _____?

Bennett was talking about a book "Freakanomic" where the author claimed abortions were lowering the crime rate. Bennett attacked this argument, then cited what he thought would be a ridiculous application of this argument, THEN !!!!

THEN !!!!! (pay attention liberals)
He called this type of hypothetical application MORALLY REPUGNANT.

Unscrupulous and dishonest democrats/liberals, chose to EDIT/Misrepresent the last part of Bennett's statement so that it look liked Bennett was calling for the genocide of black children. Bennett who is PRO-LIFE (aka abortions should not be legal) is a victim of a campaign of lies spread like people like KKF....

SERIOUSLY.....Can any liberal/democrats on this forum claim with a straight face that Bennett was calling for the genocide of black children? (Besides KKF)

I am mad at Bill Bennett for using such a STUPID example to make his point about falacy of exprapolating an argument. Then he acts surprised that his politcal enemies take it out of context.

You Democrats seem to be reacting with glee about Bennett's foot-in-mouth episode. Here is something you need to realize. Bennett is not running for office and the attempts to assassinate his reputation will not translate into votes. This is the second attempt to attack Bill Bennett. The first time was when his love of high stakes gambling was made public. The democrat party will continue to lose elections until they give the voters a reason to vote for THEM instead of campaigning NOT to vote for the Republicans.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: You are Spreading a LIE which makes you a _____?

Ok. Bill Bennent thinks aborting every black baby is morally repugnant. I'm glad he feels this way.

The problem is that he believes that aborting black babies would lower crime. He clearly stated this belief. He feels morally repulsed by the notion, but he believes that it would in fact lower crime.

He could of linked crime (or violent crime) to poverty and said that aborting babies of poor people would lower crime. However, he choses the state that aborting black babies would lower crime. Why change the subject to race?

He appears to be a racist. Perhaps he is not and perhaps he will retract his comments and apologize. However, his comments have a clear racist tone. This is what the fuss is all about folks.

[ QUOTE ]
The democrat party will continue to lose elections until they give the voters a reason to vote for THEM instead of campaigning NOT to vote for the Republicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is just pure humor. You may be hopeless.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that he believes that aborting black babies would lower crime. He clearly stated this belief. He feels morally repulsed by the notion, but he believes that it would in fact lower crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware that any rational predictor has to conclude that his statement is objectively true, correct? I will go on the record as believing that aborting all black babies would lower crime. I believe the same about aborting all poor babies. Both are evil.

Do you agree with me and Mr. Bennett, or are you irrational (or possibly ill-informed about statistics and their application)?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You Democrats seem to be reacting with glee about Bennett's foot-in-mouth episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I had no idea this guy even existed until this story came out. Did he write a book at some point? I seem to have a foggy recollection of that.

Anyhoo, this seems more like a desperate ploy for ratings on Bill's part as opposed to a Democratic smear campaign. No one with half a brain could expect to claim that killing black people would lower the crime rate and not get called out on it by the media. So either this guy is retarded or he is desperate for ratings/publicity. Take your pick.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware that any rational predictor has to conclude that his statement is objectively true, correct? I will go on the record as believing that aborting all black babies would lower crime. I believe the same about aborting all poor babies. Both are evil.

Do you agree with me and Mr. Bennett, or are you irrational (or possibly ill-informed about statistics and their application)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.

But once again, why bring race into the equation if you are talking about poverty?

He gives the impression that aborting black babies would lower crime because black people commit more crimes because they are black and not because they are more likely to be poor.

You could say that more blacks are poor, so more poor would be aborted, so black abortions disproportionally favor poor abortions and would lead to less crime. But a far more accurate way to make this point would be to say "aborting poor babies would lower crime."

Why bring up blacks unless you believe that being black means you will commit more crimes, regardless of your economic situation?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But once again, why bring race into the equation if you are talking about poverty?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not advocating a policy here. He's showing how the ideas presented in Freakonomics cannot be used as a justification for abortion by illustrating some of the abominable lengths to which they could be taken. That's why he's phrasing the issue as extremely as possible.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not advocating a policy here. He's showing how the ideas presented in Freakonomics cannot be used as a justification for abortion by illustrating some of the abominable lengths to which they could be taken. That's why he's phrasing the issue as extremely as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop making sense. It might interfere with some people's desire to label everybody a racist.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Aborting Black babies for the good of society

He's right, and there is considerable statistical evidence to prove that he's right. As others have pointed out, he also said it was morally reprehensible. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is. I'm definitely on the liberal side of things, but I have no idea why the Democrats are getting their panties all rolled up into a bunch over this one.