Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 11:03 AM

Default More Katrina hysteria corrected

Reports of anarchy at Superdome overstated

NEW ORLEANS — After five days managing near riots, medical horrors and unspeakable living conditions inside the Superdome, Louisiana National Guard Col. Thomas Beron prepared to hand over the dead to representatives of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Following days of internationally reported murders, rapes and gang violence inside the stadium, the doctor from FEMA — Beron doesn't remember his name — came prepared for a grisly scene: He brought a refrigerated 18-wheeler and three doctors to process bodies.

"I've got a report of 200 bodies in the Dome," Beron recalled the doctor saying.

The real total?

Six, Beron said.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: More Katrina hysteria corrected

Yes, I'm sure that the Superdome was a very pleasant place to be and they all had tea at noon and a big buffet at night. Give me a break. Reporters who were on the scene were too scared to go in there. The ones who did go in needed security and usually got out fairly quickly.

The fact is that the Superdome was a horrible place to be and the federal government had no excuse for not evacuating those people sooner. Even in a Republican administration, prisoners survive a long time on Death Row. That doesn't mean it's a pleasant place to be.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm sure that the Superdome was a very pleasant place to be and they all had tea at noon and a big buffet at night. Give me a break. Reporters who were on the scene were too scared to go in there. The ones who did go in needed security and usually got out fairly quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said it was pleasant? The article addressed the fact that is was widely reported that large numbers of murders and other violent crimes within the Superdome and Covention Center.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that the Superdome was a horrible place to be and the federal government had no excuse for not evacuating those people sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the fact is that the local government has no excuse for using the Superdome as a shelter when it was properly provsioned for such a use. Of course maybe if the local officials had actually exercised their evacuation plan they wouldnt have had to use the Superdome.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that the Superdome was a horrible place to be and the federal government had no excuse for not evacuating those people sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the fact is that the local government has no excuse for using the Superdome as a shelter when it was properly provsioned for such a use. Of course maybe if the local officials had actually exercised their evacuation plan they wouldnt have had to use the Superdome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if your fact is true, it doesn't make the other fact any less true.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:01 PM

First impressions are what matters. The media gave us the impression that FEMA and Bush are primarily responsible for major failures there. Whether there actually were failures or whether FEMA and Bush were to blame doesn't matter.

People think it is so, that is all that matters.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:28 PM

"People think it is so, that is all that matters."

I don't agree with you on much, but i agree with you on this.