Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Do you like the line? Mostly the river

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

SB ($208.95)
BB ($835.5)
UTG ($2765.5)
MP ($1169.25)
Hero ($646)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, SB (poster) calls $25, BB calls $20.

Yes a raise might be a bit marginal.

Flop: ($90) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

I decided against the flop bet because i felt like i could risk a flush card come up for a high card like a king to extract some money.

Turn: ($90) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $88</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $250</font>, SB folds, BB calls $162.

Flush card came but he could be doing this with a high spade so i raised to find out where im at. should i have raise more and gone with the check the river?

River: ($590) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Checked here, value bet?

Final Pot: $590
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Do you like the line? Mostly the river

whats your party name?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:33 PM

Why does everyone want to make a contuation bet every time they raise preflop EXCEPT when they flop a monster?

You have a monster that is vulnerable to a flush and you check?

Bad Bad Bad
Old 04-30-2005, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

SB ($208.95)
BB ($835.5)
UTG ($2765.5)
MP ($1169.25)
Hero ($646)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, SB (poster) calls $25, BB calls $20.

Yes a raise might be a bit marginal.

Flop: ($90) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

I decided against the flop bet because i felt like i could risk a flush card come up for a high card like a king to extract some money.

Turn: ($90) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $88</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $250</font>, SB folds, BB calls $162.

Flush card came but he could be doing this with a high spade so i raised to find out where im at. should i have raise more and gone with the check the river?

River: ($590) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Checked here, value bet?

Final Pot: $590

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorthanded on the button, the PFR is fine.

As for the river -- it depends on table image and predictability, and ability of BB to take the pot away from you if he senses weakness. You're going to have to fold to a reraise, so if he's capable of a bluff reraise it's a bad idea to reopen betting. Also, a tight opponent may be on a small flush. The trickier he is, the more I like a check. The tighter he is, the more I like a check.

You need a loose/passive villain to make a value bet worthwhile.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:52 PM

First of all thanks for all the responses, even the ones challenging me to play with them at PL1000 (my party sn is just like my name). I felt that the only 3 hands were going to call me on the turn were weaker jacks, boats (unlikely), flushes, and MAYBE if they were morons Ace of spades. So i figured i was about 50/50 for being beat with the flush vs the lower jack. I tend to favor keeping pots small, which might be a mistake but i dont like betting big and getting into tricky situations. I might get responses like you shouldn't be playing this high or whatever and as of right now i might be outclassed. But i'm learning my way around.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:13 PM

Given the way you played the flop and turn, the river play is fine.

That being said, I don't like the combination of the flop and the turn play at all. Your best hope to make money on this hand is to play it on the flop like you have JJ, QQ or AK, and hope that your opponent has a 9 or a reasonable pocket pair.

The spade falling on the turn is doubly bad for you. Your opponent may have spades, and even if he doesn't have spades, he has to worry that you do. Put another way, you might have gotten the case 9 or an overpair in very deep on the flop. The likelihood of that happening on the turn after another spade hits if much lower.

If Villain is paying attention, your line looks a lot like a nervous A9 or a non-nut flush, giving Villain the perfect opportunity to get away from the case 9 or an overpair.

Given that he called your turn raise, he either has you beat or isn't very good.