Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Do I suck??? (50K hands at 1/2 with 1BB/100)

I've now played 50K hands and am genuinely amazed just how badly these people play. Seems like they're compeeting who gets to coldcall UTG raises first with their J9o's.

Still I'm only able to bet this level for 1BB/100 (somewhat sufficient sample size). Other posts describe this level, as if you don't kick their butts for 3BB it's almost as playing a losing game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do feel I have had rather bad luck lately. Set over set, flush over flush, people hitting gutshots and backdoors as if it were their sole purpose in life.

Don't get me wrong, I know about variance, but is it possible that I could run somewhat cold for 50K hands? Or should I juat accept the fact that I'm nothing more than a mediocre player?

I've managed to plug some leaks in my game, increasing my aggression from 1.78 -> 2.8, lowering my VP$IP from 20->18.5. Furthermore I've started using free card-plays, pumping flush/str8 draws, and finally realizing that non-nut flushes are still VERY solid hands. (Although while doing all this my BB/100 has NOT increased)

What it comes down to is this: Should I try out 2/4, or should I just stick to 1/2? And if the later, what would be needed for me to rise in limits?
Old 12-26-2004, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Do I suck??? (50K hands at 1/2 with 1BB/100)

it's very possible that you're running cold. it's also unlikely that youre playing well enough to beat the game for 3BB/100.

take a stab at the 2/4. as far as i can tell, its not much more difficult at all.

if you dont have one, get a rakeback deal. it will increase your profits by a huge margin.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:12 AM

You have a problem here where you are too focussed on results and are trying to obtain that golden perfect statistic. So what if you are dropping only to about 18.5 VPIP. If you are folding all your AK, but raising your J-8 offsuit, your VPIP could still be in the 18.5 range.

Instead of focussing on what your stats should be, focus on whether or not you made the right decisions with your hands during play. Go back into Pokertracker and phase out your hands by playing them again to see if/what you could have done differently. Doing so will help you improve your game far more than just focussing on your numbers.

Lawrence
Old 12-26-2004, 01:03 AM

I hear what you're saying, but the numbers were only to indicate, that I had made some sort of progress. Of course the number in itself isn't sufficient, I know that.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:06 AM

going 20->18.5 VP$IP isnt necessarily progress in this game.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:03 AM

I could be playing too tight?
Old 12-26-2004, 02:14 AM

With 50K hands, go through stats for each hands and see which ones are losers for you. Like A9, AT, KJ, see how you are doing with those. What are losers that you think would be winners and you are probably playing those wrong.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:40 AM

Perhaps you're more closely suited for NL play. I know I am. I've played a few thousand limit(1/2 mostly) hands to clear TGCs bonus and I've had AA and KK cracked 12x in a row. Really. It drove me nuts the first 7 or 8x, but I then realized it simply wouldnt be happening that way in NL. I'd be making those fishes swallow a huge raise to chase with the K4o and assorted other trash they're killing my monster hands with. I also find your typical NL player is every bit as bad as your typical limit player, but additionally knows nothing about pot odds. Just another aspect of the game to clobber 'em with. Just my $.02...or $.005 after rake.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:41 AM

not mentioning your PFR strikes me as interesting.

i suspect you are just running kinda so-so for the most part.

just because you are trying for free-cards doesn't mean that you are doing so at the right times or in the right ways.
There are situations where you are all proud of yourself for getting the free-card....and then if you eliminate enough players on the flop then you should consider just taking the pot down on the turn.

your personal p-tracker stats get you part-way to where you want to go regarding analyzing your play. but you should really be posting your HH's in the micro-limit strategy forum to see where you stand.
If you post one of your free-card plays and everyone tells you "that's not a good time to do this" then you will know that your 1BB/100 is not just variance....but that you are doing things to hurt your win-rate.

This is what I suspect...and this comes from someone who seems to find a way to hurt himself enough at each and every level to keep his win-rate below 2BB/100 no matter where I'm playing. So I know ALL ABOUT doing damage to one's own normally outstanding win-rate.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:54 AM

Leaving out PFR was a slip of mind. It's 8.68

Yes, I find it quite difficult when to continue being aggressive on the turn, if the free card play succeded, but the turn didn't help out. So I guess it's time for another session of massive hand posting.